Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: reloading dies for dummy rounds

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by niemi24s View Post
    Is there some compelling reason other than the mere mention of a 0.200" freebore that makes you want one?
    I don't want 0.200", not even for the throat length. It was just an example of the terminology problem I run into.

Originally, I thought the chamber diameter was the only thing under spec, at 0.473". With factory ammo or my "factory spec" dummy rounds, there were no obvious problems.

Investigating further, the throat on these barrels is also reportedly on the tight side (short, not diameter). With some experimenting, it looks like a 1.265" OAL won't even pass the "ka-plunk" test, and will leave only a few thousandths of jump when chambered. I imagine a max OAL round will not even chamber.

The reamer I ordered is integral chamber and throat and is SAAMI spec.

-
    Last edited by megafiddle; 7th April 2018 at 21:58.

Posts liked by others
    How can a round that won't pass the plunk test have any jump? The bullet has already engaged the rifling before the case is even fully chambered.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    How can a round that won't pass the plunk test have any jump? The bullet has already engaged the rifling before the case is even fully chambered.

Headspace. The case is shorter than the headspace. It's free to move back out of the chamber by a few thousandths before it contacts the breechface.

(edited)

Although the case won't necessarily (or likely) be back against the breech face when ignited.

If the case is full forward, then no jump.

If the case is held back by a tight extracter, then some jump.

-

-
    Last edited by megafiddle; 8th April 2018 at 00:43.

Posts liked by others
    Sizing die to reduce case diameter so it will hold a bullet.
    Method of seating bullet back in the case perfectly straight.

Often a slight flare is put on the case after sizing it down to ease getting the bullet started into the case (especially for flat base style bullets).
    The rounding at the base of many 230 gr FMJ bullets is enough if things are started straight to begin with at least sometimes.
    A slight inside chamfer on the case mouth limits snagging.

If the case was flared to aid starting the bullet you need a taper crimp to remove the flare and return it to straight to fit many chambers.
    There is not all that much play available here.

Try and find someone that reloads .45 ACP and have them make up what you need.
    Last edited by brickeyee; 10th April 2018 at 14:47.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by brickeyee View Post
    Try and find someone that reloads .45 ACP and have them make up what you need.
    I already have the factory crimp die I ordered. Will try it out sometime this week, but expect it will work well for what I'm doing.

-

Posts liked by others
    Hint: When using the Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die without a shell holder and loading press, do NOT force the round all the way up into the die to use the upper adjustable crimping sleeve. Instead, use only the lower carbide sizing ring to "crimp" the case mouth. If forced all the way up into this die, you may find the round very difficult to remove from the die. A look at the image in Post #17 should show why I say this.

Q1: What's your best measure the ID of your Lee CFC dies lower carbide sizing ring?

Q2: What did you use to make that measurement?

Thanks in advance for this information.
    When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind. [Lord Kelvin]

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by niemi24s View Post
    Hint: When using the Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die without a shell holder and loading press, do NOT force the round all the way up into the die to use the upper adjustable crimping sleeve. Instead, use only the lower carbide sizing ring to "crimp" the case mouth. If forced all the way up into this die, you may find the round very difficult to remove from the die. A look at the image in Post #17 should show why I say this.

Q1: What's your best measure the ID of your Lee CFC dies lower carbide sizing ring?

Q2: What did you use to make that measurement?

Thanks in advance for this information.

A1: At the smaller end of the sizing ring taper, I measure .4715

A2: I used dial calibers. Using the same calipers, the unflared cases that I already pressed bullets into measure .471 at the mouth end of the case. Through various other measurements in the past, I have found the inside and outside jaw measurements agree closely, well within .001". So the relative accuracy between those two measurements should be pretty good. That would indicate that the carbide ring will leave the case mouth less than .001" over my target value of .00471.

I will be flaring the cases though, so there might be a slight flare left that still needs to be removed after passing through the sizing ring. If I do have to crimp, I'll figure out somehow a way to extract it. I have a shell holder to at least grab it with.

I also found that a 1/4" drive 7 mm socket seems to work perfect for flaring.

-
    Last edited by megafiddle; 11th April 2018 at 20:03.

Posts liked by others
    Why not just buy a Lee hand press? The price has gone up a bit since I last looked at it, but it's still not bad, and a versatile tool.

https://www.natchezss.com/lee-breech...and-press.html
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for the ID measurement. It agrees well with the average of my measurements of 0.4714" for six dies.

You said your target case mouth OD for these dummies is 0.471". But ponder this. If the purpose of these dummies is to check how well a 1911 feeds, it'll feed a minimum OD round OK but may have problems feeding a round with a maximum SAAMI OD. This means the toughest feeding test will be with a round having a 0.473" OD at the case mouth. But such an OD is almost impossible to obtain with a jacketed bullet because most jacketed 45 Auto bullets are in the 0.450 to 0.4515 inch range. You could, however, pretty well achieve this by changing your target case mouth OD to 0.473" and leaving a little bit of flare.

But that's just an idea I had.
    When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind. [Lord Kelvin]

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    Why not just buy a Lee hand press? The price has gone up a bit since I last looked at it, but it's still not bad, and a versatile tool.

https://www.natchezss.com/lee-breech...and-press.html
    I never considered buying one because I had no intention of reloading.

However, if there were other uses for it, I could be convinced. The bench mounted model looks even cheaper, and would be my preference.

-

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast