Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: reloading dies for dummy rounds

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    FWIW, you can rent a chamber reamer for less than half the cost of a new one: https://4drentals.com/product/45-acp/
    When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind. [Lord Kelvin]

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    I hate to be a reverse snob, but this is why I shy away from "name" barrels. They generally need too much to make them function reliably, and for combat/self defense accuracy a $200+ barrel simply isn't necessary. I've been very happy with Sarco's "Roto" house brand barrels. They're more accurate than I am, and I've never had a problem due to a tight chamber (for enhanced accuracy, of course). I just put 'em in the gun and go shooting. It's one thing if you're buying a "gunsmith fit" barrel -- those are expected to need fitting (although they should NOT require reaming, unless sold as unfinished). The ones that are supposed to be drop-in should drop in ... but often they don't.
    This first gun that I'm building will mainly be a range gun, less than 25 yds. For that purpose alone, I'm sure a Sarco or Swenson barrel would serve just fine. It's purpose is more than that though. I want to build a gun. Or two.

My ultimate goal is to build a 5" target model. I am using this first 4.25" model to perfect my techniques before attempting the 5".

Everything is going well so far. My biggest problem is finding parts that I like.

These Kart barrels, which all seem to be chambered and throated alike, reportedly work ok for round nose and flush shoulder semi wadcutters. I would like more freebore though (see my next post).

-

Posts liked by others
    But semiwadcutters shouldn't be seated to a flush shoulder. Niemi24s has had a number of posts on this, going back probably a couple or three years. There should be just s small amount of exposed shoulder above the mouth of the case. I've only encountered one pistol where that was a problem (using factory-loaded semiwadcutter ammo), and the gun manufacturer acknowledged the problem and replaced the barrel.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by niemi24s View Post
    FWIW, you can rent a chamber reamer for less than half the cost of a new one: https://4drentals.com/product/45-acp/
    That looks like a good option if only reaming one barrel, or several within one week's time, but it looks like I may be reaming two of them many months apart. It's cheaper at that point to just buy one. So I ordered a Manson. Brand new, perfectly sharp, and I get to keep it.

I'm perfectly happy with the 0.001" undersize chamber diameter. Or at least I would be until commercial ammo no longer fits. But the freebore appears to be minimal at best. I would like to see more:

Kart_freebore_1.jpg

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    But semiwadcutters shouldn't be seated to a flush shoulder. Niemi24s has had a number of posts on this, going back probably a couple or three years. There should be just s small amount of exposed shoulder above the mouth of the case. I've only encountered one pistol where that was a problem (using factory-loaded semiwadcutter ammo), and the gun manufacturer acknowledged the problem and replaced the barrel.
    Thanks for the correction.

I was just trying to describe the bullet on the right (below), as opposed to the one on the left:

bullet_1.jpg

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by megafiddle View Post
    But the freebore appears to be minimal at best. I would like to see more:
    Do you know how much freebore a barrel is supposed to have?
    When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind. [Lord Kelvin]

Posts liked by others
    Do you know how much freebore a barrel is supposed to have?
    If I'm reading it right, the prints show 0.110".

Also, someone mentions 0.100" here:

https://forum.m1911.org/showthread.p...finish-reaming

The lengths in my barrel photo are not as short as they look. Still not even close to 0.100" though.

-

Posts liked by others
    I think you have your terminology a little mixed up. The average 45Auto barrel has a 0.022" freebore as shown below:

That 0.1XY dimension is for the entire throat. And Throat = Freebore + Leade. The 0.450D"D gauge ball is part of the Ordnance measurement method. It's really the only way to measure some of this this stuff. However, a driven slug or chamber casting will do for the throat axial dimensions.

Q: can you see the image?
    Last edited by niemi24s; 7th April 2018 at 13:41.

Posts liked by others
    I think you have your terminology a little mixed up. The average 45Auto barrel has a 0.022" freebore as shown below:

That 0.1XY dimension is for the entire throat. And Throat = Freebore + Leade. The 0.450D"D gauge ball is part of the Ordnance measurement method. It's really the only way to measure some of this this stuff. However, a driven slug or chamber casting will do for the throat axial dimensions.

Q: can you see the image?
    Yes, I can see it.

I had the terms right; my dimension is apparently wrong then, along with my sources.

One dimension is from here, post #6:

https://forum.m1911.org/showthread.p...finish-reaming

...while .100" is considered enough Wil recommends .200" of free bore...

Also used the SAAMI chamber drawing which appears to be the same as in J. K.'s vol II, pg 105.

-

Posts liked by others
    Don't let semantics lead you astray and get hung up on definitions. That 0.200" dimension talked about is probably the 0.111" shown in my drawing. If you want to lengthen the area in your barrel between the chamber stop shoulder and the place where the barrel lands are their full height (or not reamed down) you'll need another type of reamer - a throating reamer. Throating reamers are designed to deepen the throat without increasing headspace (by moving the stop shoulder forward).

You're free to do whatever you like with your own barrel but if you think more freebore/leade/throat is going to solve the problems with an undersized chamber - think again.

Bear in mind that the maximum SAAMI case mouth OD is 0.473". That is easily attained with a 0.452" lead bullet in good thick walled brass.

Is there some compelling reason other than the mere mention of a 0.200" freebore that makes you want one?
    Last edited by niemi24s; 7th April 2018 at 20:13.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast