Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: 40S&W-3n37-180gr Plated and FMJ

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

40S&W-3n37-180gr Plated and FMJ

I'm looking for a load using the above bullets and powder.

The kicker is that I'm looking for 135 - 140 PF (750 - 780fps).

Any help - good or bad - is appreciated.
    MFWIC
    DILLIGAF
    Stercus Accidit
    WTFDTSG

Posts liked by others
    Your desired muzzle velocity is well below that of the lowest starting load for either of the two 180 grain bullets shown in the Vihtavuori load data for 3N37, so you'll need a chronograph to find it.

Using the longest COAL the gun can use might help too.

But (hopefully) somebody will chime in who's actually done this before.
    When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind. [Lord Kelvin]

Posts liked by others
    That would put you below the Vihtavuori or Lyman starting load.
    I have never seen a Vihtavuori load make the claimed velocity, so you could give it a try at the starting value.
    https://www.vihtavuori.com/reloading.../?cartridge=44

I don't think going below the book starting load would be dangerous, but velocity variations would likely be wide.

Posts liked by others
    I agree Jim, so I'll go another route.
    MFWIC
    DILLIGAF
    Stercus Accidit
    WTFDTSG