Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post Office theft???!!!

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Icon17 Post Office theft???!!!

Ruger has recently initiated a recall for the Hunter IV .22 cal. Hunter due to a safety issue.
    I needed to send ONLY the receiver.
    They sent me a Priority Mail box along with a prepaid label with tracking number.
    Approximately 2 1/2 wks ago I went to the PO to drop it off.
    With about 12 people on the line, I decided to just put it into the drop box that is in the lobby.
    Last week I called Ruger just to check on it.
    They had no record of it coming in!
    I go back to PO with tracking number to see what happened.
    Manager tells me THEY have no record of it.
    "How is that possible?" I ask!
    She says "I have no idea. When anything is removed from the drop box it is immediately scanned into the system and sent off to the main distribution center."
    Me....."The someone stole it! It had the name of the gun manufacturer on it! Boxes don't just disappear!"
    Mgr..."Are you saying one of MY people stole it?"
    Me...."That's EXACTLY what I'm saying!"
    She gets HER supervisor. He and I go through the same thing with the same outcome.
    I got the number for the PO Inspector's office and I've initiated an investigation.
    I know it will not be recovered but I want everyone there to know there is a thief amongst them.
    THE GOOD NEWS.............I spoke with Amanda at Ruger customer service. She was absolutely FANTASTIC!!
    After speaking with her superior, RUGER SENT ME A NEW RECEIVER AND AN EXTRA MAG!!! FREE!!!!!
    I got it Wednesday!!!
    Talk about great customer relations!!!!!
    My next firearm will be Ruger!
    So there's my story......and I'm stickin' to it!
    BTW.........the PO is in Coral Springs, Fl......on Riverside and Atlantic.
    Lesson learned........ALWAYS GET A RECEIPT!

Posts liked by others
    Yes, "ALWAYS GET A RECEIPT!" And always comply with the rules when shipping anything with the USPS, or any other carrier. How does one know the rules, one might ask? The Clerk will walk one through the proper, lawful process when the customer presents the parcel for shipping at the counter. For many years now all parcels have been required to be presented at the counter and questions asked and answered regarding the contents and potential safety hazards of the contents.
    "Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you." --Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
    Likes (1) :
    Ric4509 (23rd September 2018)

Posts liked by others
    Tx 11........the item being shipped was as hazardous as a rock.
    Any American should, WITH FULL CONFIDENCE, be able to drop a parcel into a mail box and expect it to be delivered.
    This DID NOT happen in this instance.
    If it MIRACULOUSLY shows up, I will immediately rescind my accussation of theft publicly.
    Till then........I say it was stolen!
    Likes (1) :
    ca survivor (30th September 2018)

Posts liked by others
    Agreed that we should be able to rely on the postal service ... we can't. It's staffed by humans, and not all humans are honest.

Bigger issue: Federal law does not allow unlicensed persons (i.e. anyone other than an FFL) to mail handguns. I don't know why Ruger sent you a postal box to ship the gun in, but my non-lawyer view is that you're lucky you didn't get arrested.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (1) :
    Ric4509 (23rd September 2018)

Posts liked by others
    In the 2nd sentence of my original lost I stated the ONLY piece Ruger needed was the reciever.
    That is what I sent them.......not the barrel with the serial number.
    I am well aware of firearm shipping laws.
    But my post is more about theft and fantastic customer service than anything else.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by telewacker55 View Post
    In the 2nd sentence of my original lost I stated the ONLY piece Ruger needed was the reciever.
    That is what I sent them.......not the barrel with the serial number.
    I am well aware of firearm shipping laws.
    But my post is more about theft and fantastic customer service than anything else.
    I wasn't aware that this firearm has the serial number on the barrel -- most put the serial number on the receiver -- and you did not mention that in your post. Numbering the barrel rather than the receiver is very unusual.

In any event, this thread isn't about a Ruger 1911, so we'll move it to "General Discussion."
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 2nd March 2018 at 16:55.

Posts liked by others
    On the 22/45 Mark III, at least, Ruger refers to the serialized part as the Barrel/Receiver Assembly.

What we normally call the receiver, Ruger calls the grip frame.

-

Posts liked by others
    Its wonderful that ruger took care of you. Then again its awful that we cant trust the people at the post office not to steal from us. A similar thing happend to me when i was in iraq. The postal handelers would go through boxes and take what the wanted, and claimed they were seizing contraband. If you call home made cookies contravand thwn i guess they did their jobs....

Posts liked by others
    While the grip frame is just a "part", I guarantee you that a postal clerk or shipping agent would have freaked out if you had told them you were sending part of a GUN! I have run into hysterical postal clerks and hard nosed fed up people just about every time I tried to ship anything firearms related. Had to take one up to the postmaster.

Posts liked by others
    A United Airlines employee or contract employee stole my first 1911, SA, from the airport in Houston. All because people vote to repeal the Bill of Rights (what the government can't do to you-Obama). It was in the required case. United initially said "lost luggage", and I knew otherwise, and let them know. Then I called the police. So yeah, stealing guns is a problem. It would not have been a problem if it was with me, on myself (I don't own any persons) in its holster where it belongs.

A postal employee stole it from you to commit crimes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast