Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Electronic hearing protection?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Electronic hearing protection?

Is there a decent, durable set of electronic earmuffs available for under $50? If so, what are your recommendations.

I've had three different sets over the past ten years or so. The first (which was a brand name, stereo set with microphones on both sides) were ruined by my carelessness -- I left them with a set of batteries installed, the batteries leaked and corroded the contact, and nothing I can do will restore the battery contacts, so they're now passive earmuffs. As such, they work okay -- but there are times when I'd like amplified hearing with my protection.

Then I have another set, Chinese no-name brand, that worked ... and now don't work. No corrosion this time. The batteries make contact, and when the batteries are in place and I fiddle with the knob I can hear static, and there's a "click" when the knob is switched on or off -- but there's no transmission of sound from outside the muffs to my ears. So ... another pair of passive earmuffs.

The third set is the newest, and they work. But they're not stereo, the sound quality isn't great, and the amplification isn't great. And they're Chinese, so I more or less expect them to self destruct just like pair number two. And they're hevay for passive muffs.

I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on electronic earmuffs, because for much of my shooting I'm alone and don't need to hear anything other than my own thoughts. But, for those times when I want or need to hear what's going on around me, I would prefer that when I put on the electronic muffs they work.

What would you recommend?
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    In the long run I think it is cheaper to pay up front and get an expensive pair that will last. Bought my first pair of electronic muffs in the early 80’s and have bought many, many since then. Got tired of buying new muffs every year or so and ten years ago I bought a pair of MSA Sordin Pros. 250ish but they are still working strong. So just 25 bucks a year and they are fantastic with the gel pads. You can wear them all day without discomfort. Battery life is also exceptional.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member, GOA Member, MGO Member

Posts liked by others
    I believe the only good under $50 electronics are the narrow profile Howard Leight. They are good for rifle shooting if you wear plugs under them. If shooting a handgun I'd recommend doubling your budget to $100 and look for a set with very high noise reduction. The ones I bought for my wife and daughter are both excellent and were purchased on the db reduction, I think 28 and 32. There were many that cost a lot more, but did not have as good noise protection.

Posts liked by others
    Hmmm ...

Time for a reality check, eh?
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    I've used Impact Sport by Howard Leight for several years. I often wear foam plugs with these as my hearing has gotten worse over the years.
    If I find a pair that does a better job, it's worth the price to me to delay needing hearing aids.

Posts liked by others
    Your hearing has gotten worse because the HL Sport is not adequate protection. The HL Pro is better. "Double plugging" is probably better yet.

Posts liked by others
    I've had several different brands from mid range cost to over $200 and wish I could find one that I like and that lasts longer. I like to able to hear what is going on around me when I'm at my local range usually by myself. When I'm with others I use ear plugs as well. Best wishes on finding an adequate ear muff. I'm starting to think it's like finding that elusive perfect holster.
    Lynnie, "Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal. "
    - Albert Camus