Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt Sistema slide question

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Colt Sistema slide question

I have a Colt Sistema.
    Barrel, slide and frame serial numbers all match. 51336 from I think 1949
    Were the slides being heat treated by than?

Posts liked by others
    There is no such thing as a Colt Sistema (or a Sistema Colt). If yours dates to 1949, it's probably a Sistema. I'm not sure about heat treating of the slides, but I think the answer is yes.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    I apologize for the incorrect model term. Yes it is a Sistema Mod 1927 from Argentina and built in 1949.
    I appreciate your reply.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    There is no such thing as a Colt Sistema (or a Sistema Colt). If yours dates to 1949, it's probably a Sistema. I'm not sure about heat treating of the slides, but I think the answer is yes.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    Your "Colt Style" (LOL @ Hawkmoon) Sistema has a heat treated slide stop notch and other bits. You are good to go!

Posts liked by others
    Thank you Martensite
    Quote Originally Posted by Martensite View Post
    Your "Colt Style" (LOL @ Hawkmoon) Sistema has a heat treated slide stop notch and other bits. You are good to go!

Posts liked by others
    Hmmm... not tryin' to stir the pot, especially after a long absence... but my Sistemas say "Sist. Colt Cal. 11.25mm Mod. 1927" right on the slide.

Anyway, regardless of whether they exist, they were built to JMB specs (except for 6 minor details), with technicians trained by Colt, on machinery set up by Colt, and that is the value of the Sistema Colt Model of 1927.

Colt went to great lengths to make sure that the Argentines could make 1911 pistols correctly, with "Colt" in the roll mark. One of the best histories of the Argentine 1911s is at the other 1911 forum, in this thread.

Really, not tryin' to stir trouble.

Also, I don't have an account at the "other" forum... I like this'n much better!
    - MacEntyre
    Per Ardua, Infensus, Sine Politico
    Haec manus inimica tyrannis
    Last edited by MacEntyre; 8th December 2018 at 05:45.

Posts liked by others
    Colt built the original batch of 1911A1s for Argentina. Those were Colts, and are referred to as the Argentinean contract pistols. The ones that say "Sistema" were made in Argentina, not by Colt. Thus, by definition as well as by fact, they are not Colts. The "Colt" in the rollmark refers to the cartridge, not the maker of the pistol. .45 ACP, after all, is an acronym for "Automatic Colt Pistol."

Properly, the Sistemas are not "Sistemas," either. That's part of the model name. The maker was found on the left side of the slide: D.G.F.M. - (F.M.A.P)
    Direccion General de Fabricaciones Militares (Fabric Militar de Armas Portatiles). Roughly translated, this means "General Directorate for Military Fabrications (Military Factory for Portable [Small] Arms)."

The right side rollmark should be read and interpreted as a complete statement, not pulling "Colt" out of it to mean something other than intended. "Sistema" is the Spanish word for "system." The right side rollmark is "SIST. COLT CAL. 11.25mm MOD. 1927". That translates to "System of Caliber Colt .45, Model of 1927." It's the equivalent of an American-made 1911 (or any pistol) saying ".45 ACP" or ".45 Auto" on the slide.

Colt went to great lengths to ensure that the Argentinean pistols were well-made because Argentina paid them to do that. That doesn't make them Colts. Sorry to be overly pedantic about this, but I don't think we do Colt or Argentina or these pistols any service by perpetuating and promulgating misinformation. They are fine pistols -- I own a couple -- but they are not Colts.

http://sightm1911.com/lib/review/sistema.htm
    Hawkmoon
    Likes (1) :
    NORMSUTTON (1st June 2019)

Last edited by Hawkmoon; 8th December 2018 at 10:31.

Posts liked by others
    Dang, I got to call it a "D.G.F.M. - (F.M.A.P)"?

How do ya say that?
    - MacEntyre
    Per Ardua, Infensus, Sine Politico
    Haec manus inimica tyrannis

Posts liked by others
    It is a Sistema Colt.
    That means made on the Colt system or design.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Dang, I got to call it a "D.G.F.M. - (F.M.A.P)"?

How do ya say that?
    "Sistema"
    Hawkmoon
    Likes (1) :
    NORMSUTTON (1st June 2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast