Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Can't get my powder measure to stabilize

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by PolyKahr View Post
    I have used a Lee single stage press for a number of years now, but have been thinking about getting a turret press to speed things up a bit. My concern is that my Lee powder measure is not stable enough. I typically have to measure every fifth round. If the weight of the powder is off by more than 0.1 grain, I redo the previous 4 rounds to ensure I keep the weight of the powder within these limits. So, if the target load is 5.5 grains, I will accept variations between 5.4 to 5.6 grains. However, my Lee powder measure will sometimes dump anywhere from 5.2 to 5.8 using a fairly good measuring powder. With some powders, the variation is often wider.

So, what do you guys who have turrets of progressives do to ensure proper powder loads?
    Does it have a powder baffle in the reservoir?

They unload the powder in the reservoir from the metering volume.

A Unico is also a better investment than lee plastic.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    Skip the Autodisk and get the Pro. I've been using mine for probably close to ten years and I haven't sen any leakage whatsoever.
    Likewise for myself using my Lee Classic Turret, and I find it to be accurate when I double check with my Lee balance scale. I've heard of the clothes dryer wipes for static but always forget to use one. I can't see where static is an issue using the Autodisk Pro because it's dumping from the center, powder surrounded by powder. I get a small amount of powder sticking to the side of the plastic reservoir only when I dump unused powder back into the powder jug. I WOULD wipe my little RCBS funnel with a dryer sheet because powder sticks badly when dumping from the funnel back into the shell after double checking grains on my balance scale.
    Last edited by JD11; 28th April 2020 at 12:59.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by PolyKahr View Post
    So, my reloading bench is in an area illuminated by fluorescent lights. However, I don't know what the relationship between erratic readings on FA scales.Wade
    Who knows when it comes to electronics? I remember back in the Stone Age, my son had a bag phone and going up I-5 in Oregon, every time he'd use it my cruise control would cut out.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234