Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can't get my powder measure to stabilize

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    So, I went back to using W231 which did measure more consistently. However, the spread between starting load and maximum load is pretty small for this powder for this cartridge and load. Also, the lifting of the temp and the greater humidity helped. Still, don't know that I would feel comfortable with a turret press and the Perfect Powder Measure. I will have to look into getting an Auto Disk or a Pro Auto Disk. Seems there are leakage problems with the Auto Disk. I did try tapping, and eventually got to just the right amount of force used and just the right place, I got surprisingly good results with this, but it seems kind of ...cheesy.

Wade

Posts liked by others
    Skip the Autodisk and get the Pro. I've been using mine for probably close to ten years and I haven't sen any leakage whatsoever.

As to the narrow load range -- remember that I asked about your projectiles. Based an all available published load data for Win 231 and a 230-grain, round-nose bullet, my load is over the max. But my velocity, measured with a CED Millenium chronograph, is WAAAY lower than what the published data predict. I'm actually only getting 750 to 775 fps, and the load data say I should well over 800 fps. I attribute it to the Berry's bullets being shorter than commercially available FMJ bullets, so for the same OAL I have more case volume available.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    The narrow range I was referring to is for 130 gr FMJ fir a ,38 Super load. Never the less, I also use w231 for .45 Auto. It works well for that.

Wade

Posts liked by others
    I've found when loading other shells that the level of the powder affects the weight of the drop. I never let it go below 1/3. For electronic scales, fluorescent lights, a breeze, and any number of other factors can affect them. I keep two scales and have calibrated weights to verify my scales.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by rds95991 View Post
    I've found when loading other shells that the level of the powder affects the weight of the drop. I never let it go below 1/3. For electronic scales, fluorescent lights, a breeze, and any number of other factors can affect them. I keep two scales and have calibrated weights to verify my scales.
    A baffle in the hopper will unload the column of powder from the measuring chamber.

Posts liked by others
    Pardon the late commentary, but this site is slow moving and I do not check in as often as in the past.

Firstly, large flake powders such as Red Dot, Unique, 700X, Green Dot, etc. lack the shape needed to meter precisely. In smaller charge weights that typify low to mid end 45 ACP charges some variation is the order of the day due to the powder. No matter which measure is used. I know this because I also use the PAD on a progressive press that rotates the turret when loading. The cavities present in the disks are of such volume and dimensionality (height versus diameter) that when combined with the flake powder geometry some uneven and imperfect fill of said space occurs.

This is not limited to the Lee disk measures as challenges to repeatable metering exist with all measures I own given such powder. The question to ask yourself is.....how much does some amount of variation matter? Find out. Load a batch and chronograph taking particular note of extreme spread and SD of shot velocity. Apply some statistical analysis. What I have found is that given the chance that powder position varies in the case when the round is fired, oftentimes what seems like noticeable deviation in charge weight passes unnoticed on the chronograph. Having given the matter its proper analysis you may therefore decide what to do next.

If deviation is excessive versus weighed charges, you might try a smoother metering powder such as W231, Bullseye or WST. If you are already using those powders, try charging the cases when the measure is in a static position instead of twirling around and jerking to a start and stop on the turret.

To save yourself the bother of lengthening the ammo assembly process, define what matters and what does not, and the circumstances when it matters and it does not. Practice ammo may have a lower bar than what you are attempting for a maximum accuracy effort. If practice ammo is what you are after, reliable function and reasonable accuracy are all that is required.

My message, I guess, is to quantify the actual effects of what you have before you assign great value to its significance. For most of us a decent metering powder in a progressively loaded round is all that is required. That said, a favorite loading is around 4.8 grains Red Dot or Promo under 200 SWC or 230 LRN. This on a Pro Auto Disk. I care not about powder charge weight variation because the chrono says it does as well as anything else, hardball duplication velocity is attained at low charge weight, its bulk makes a double charge easy to spot, and it has a low cost per pound and is readily available.

I do not claim it the best 45 ACP powder as I do not believe such a thing exists. But it does quite well even with its large flake size.

Do not dispense much below 4 grain charges of large flake powders in the Auto Disk measures as squibby charge drops are likely.
    Last edited by 1944Colt; 9th February 2018 at 13:43.

Posts liked by others
    The Perfect powder measure has a fixed cavity diameter. As powder weigh decreases, the shear area increases relative to the size of the metering volume. This tends to increase charge weight variation. In other words, the closer to the shape of a tuna can the powder cavity gets, the larger the shear area effect on the powder charge weight variation.

The opposite effect occurs with the small diameter Auto Disk cavities and that causes incomplete fill with large flake powders which bridge in the small cavity openings. When attempting to load about 3 grains Unique in the 32 Long case for about 780 fps with a 98 grain bullet, I still got squibby charges despite tapping on the measure in an attempt to get the cavities to fill.

Beware!

With a specialized exception of a few cavities in the discontinued Micro Disk, the small cavities of the Auto Disk and PAD are NOT to be used with large flake powder. Do not go much below 4 grains.

Posts liked by others
    Here are some things I’ve found helpful. 1) Make sure the screw on the side of the rotor isnt too tight. It shouldn’t be hard at all to pull the rotor down. Play with the screw a little and you’ll see what I mean. This is most likely the problem. 2) Lube the rotor with graphite. 3) Cut off the rotor stop. Believe it or not Lee actually says to do that. 4) +1 on the dryer sheet. 5) Keep the reservoir reasonably full. 6) Take that funnel doohickey off the nozzle. In my experience all it does is inhibit powder flow. 7) With some powders it’s necessary to tap the side of the rotor after dumping a charge while the rotor is still in the down position. Sometimes powder gets hung up in there. I have 2 Lee perfect powder measures and prefer them to the Hornady and Rcbs ones I own. My only complaint is that fine ball powders like AA7 will leak out of the sides. Your powder measure should throw Win 231 like a champ.
    Last edited by firecracker6; 19th December 2018 at 23:28.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks, firecracker. I actually took the thing apart, lubed it with graphite, put it back together, and it has been fairly consistent. Still, I weight each load. I do not go with maximum load, or minimum. Instead, somewhere in the middle where I can allow a +/- 0.1 grain tolerance. Probably 80% are right on, but then there are the other 20% that vary.

Wade

Posts liked by others
    Glad to be of service. One more thing though. My measure doesn't like large grain extruded powder. If you're going to use such a powder (like RE22) you should be careful. It never hurts to shine a flashlight into charged cases before you seat the bullets. Best of luck.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast