Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nickel plated Colt

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Nickel plated Colt

Allow me to ask a dumb question. I have a Colt 1911 serial #70G78720 that is nickel plated. I was told by a friend that Colt has never manufactured nickel plated guns from the factory. I always thought my pistol to be factory. Who is correct? Thanks.

Posts liked by others
    Your friend is all kinds of wrong.

Colt made plenty of pistols in a nickel finish (actually two types of nickel finishes), especially in the 70s, when your gun was made. They didn't stop after the 70s (heck, they still list a Special Combat Government with a nickel frame today!) nor did they start in the 70s, either! Many of the factory-engraved old Colts were given this finish, to make the engraving stand out better. You might want to tell your friend that they have sold many thousands of nickel-finished revolvers, too.

Colt has had two types of nickel finish: nickel electroplate (usually called simply 'nickel') and electroless nickel.

The serial number is a good clue to reveal the original finish, but I don't remember how exactly... I think some say if there's a B after the '70' then the finish is blue; if it's a G it's nickel... but this could be hear-say. I'd wait for someone else to chime in.

Pictures might help, too.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for the info Spyros. Here's a picture if it would help.
    Colt #78720G70.jpg

Posts liked by others
    Nice. Again, I'm no expert on these things and the picture doesn't show a lot of detail but off the bat, I don't see any rounded corners, to suggest a refinish. It looks like the sights are also nickelled, which is actually a bad idea but it IS how Colt made them back then.

The grips are definitely not original, Colt only started offering grips with diamonds AND their medallion recently (i.e. in the last decade); previously it was either medallions or large diamonds around the screws, not both.
    M. Setter
    Likes (1) :
    MuyModesto (30th September 2018)

Posts liked by others
    Looks straight to me, just like the two nickel Colts I have owned, only in better condition.
    Grips are replacements but might be Colt replacements. They have had a lot of different styles since they started doing so much parts bin engineering.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyros View Post
    Nice. Again, I'm no expert on these things and the picture doesn't show a lot of detail but off the bat, I don't see any rounded corners, to suggest a refinish. It looks like the sights are also nickelled, which is actually a bad idea but it IS how Colt made them back then.

The grips are definitely not original, Colt only started offering grips with diamonds AND their medallion recently (i.e. in the last decade); previously it was either medallions or large diamonds around the screws, not both.

Does this look more like it? I found these in my drawer.
    Likes (1) :
    1911end (23rd January 2018)

Posts liked by others
    Here's the right side.

Posts liked by others
    I think that roll mark would have come with fully checkered grips with medallions.

Posts liked by others
    They're not original to the gun but I like them...
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    I currently own a Combat Commander that has satin nickel finish from the factory and know of others that have varying nickel finishes, Electroless, satin, bright etc.
    Steve
    Likes (2) :
    MuyModesto (30th September 2018), USMC0231 (6th April 2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast