Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Flaming Bomb Stamp

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Flaming Bomb Stamp

I was conducting a Springfield Armory M1911-A1 Armorer Class a short while ago, when a student brought in this fine piece of machinery. As you can see it is stamped, Colt Patent on the slide, along with Springfield Armory stamped as well. Towards the rear of the slide and just below the slide stop you see a flaming ball stamp. Any ideas what that mark represents? I wanted to find out a little more history about the pistol.
    Thank you for your time and help!
    Gary
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Psalms 144:1 "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle..."
    Last edited by semperlex; 5th January 2018 at 10:25.

Posts liked by others
    This is a genuine WW1-vintage M1911 that was manufactured by the real Springfield Armory, not the modern company in Illinois that has nothing in common with the former government armory other than the name. So this discussion belongs in our Collectors' Corner, and I'll move it there when I finish this post.

The "flaming bomb" was the symbol of the United States Ordnance Department. This link may offer you a succinct explanation:
    http://www.coltautos.com/1911ci_126398.htm
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    I am not a student of all the collector's minutae, but it looks very straight to me. I can't be sure of the grips and magazine, but it is a good example of a fairly scarce version and worth a good deal of money. More, maybe much more than a new one.

Posts liked by others
    Thank you for the reply and information. I apologize for posting in the wrong thread and "thank you" for moving it to the correct thread.
    Gary
    Psalms 144:1 "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle..."

Posts liked by others
    Nice pistol; produced ~Sep 1915 if I'm reading the serial correctly.

Grips not Springfield. Magazine looks correct but scoured to remove rust. Should have a patch of copper plating on the back top of the magazine and the sides of the magazine body folded over the sides of the baseplate. Photos of the bottom and back of the magazine would help.

Posts liked by others
    I removed two numbers of the serial number seeing I wasn't the owner of this wonderful pistol. Thank you for the information.

Posts liked by others
    I read 1168xx for the serial. 116800 the last pistol listed for 04Sep1915 and 116801 - 116900 listed for 11Sep1915 according to the big book.