Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 3" Colt 1911

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    I found a bobtailed full frame would conceal under a shirt just as well as a small frame as on a 3" or 3.5" M1911. And an alloy Commander was lighter than the all steel Officer ACP. Kept the Commander. Need to get it bobtailed.

-- Chuck

Posts liked by others
    Model O 1991 left oblique.jpg

Carried a 2009-vintage Defender for several years, shooting it enough to feel comfortable. After around 600 or so rounds it started to fail to close completely. My local 1911-smith cleaned up the innards and installed new springs and it runs just fine. However, while he had the pistol my local Cabelas ran a sale on S&W Shield in 45 acp for $369 plus a 'rebate' of one extra magazine, two boxes of Hornaday Critical Defense ammo, and a mag charger. That pistol has digested everything I have put into it - since day one. Sooo, when I need something on the small side, that is my go to. However, most of the time I carry my 2012 vintage full size Model O in a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2. I suspect my days of carrying the Defender are behind me.
    G

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by coalgeo View Post

Carried a 2009-vintage Defender for several years, shooting it enough to feel comfortable. After around 600 or so rounds it started to fail to close completely. My local 1911-smith cleaned up the innards and installed new springs and it runs just fine.
    Sounds like the spring performed as designed for the 3" 1911. New spring at 600 and ready for another flawless 600.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by captiva View Post
    Sounds like the spring performed as designed for the 3" 1911. New spring at 600 and ready for another flawless 600.
    While you are correct and in a jam (sorry) I would carry the Defender, the S&W has run well over that now without a bobble. But, as I said, I do not often need to carry one that small. Being 66 I do not wear skin tight jeans and a watzagiggy weight lifters shirt (much to the relief of those around me.
    so a full size 1911 is EZ to carry and conceal.

Posts liked by others
    I have a Defender in .45 in my carry rotation, and its been 100% reliable, the less steel in slide and barrel from a 5" Government is a # saving in weight .

Posts liked by others
    Has anyone heard of problems with Colt's .45 ACP New Agents?
    Steve

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by coalgeo View Post
    Model O 1991 left oblique.jpg

Carried a 2009-vintage Defender for several years, shooting it enough to feel comfortable. After around 600 or so rounds it started to fail to close completely. My local 1911-smith cleaned up the innards and installed new springs and it runs just fine. However, while he had the pistol my local Cabelas ran a sale on S&W Shield in 45 acp for $369 plus a 'rebate' of one extra magazine, two boxes of Hornaday Critical Defense ammo, and a mag charger. That pistol has digested everything I have put into it - since day one. Sooo, when I need something on the small side, that is my go to. However, most of the time I carry my 2012 vintage full size Model O in a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2. I suspect my days of carrying the Defender are behind me.
    G
    I prefer to carry a 1911 but the Shield is getting more carry time.
    Likes (1) :
    ca survivor (25th November 2018)

Posts liked by others
    My only three inch 1911 is a Kimber Ultra CDP II that the wife got me for our 20th anniversary (33 years now and counting).

It went back to Kimber for a couple of issues, and they fixed one, and created another.

Since I couldn’t get rid of it, I did some work to sort it out, and it’s been reliable for over 10 years now.

I installed/fitted a Wilson thumb safety and hammer pin to replace the MIM ambi, a Cylinder and Slide slide stop, and Harrison Custom hammer, hammer strut and strut pin, plus a Harrison sear and disco.

It always was accurate, and that made it reliable as well.

I also replaced the stocks and stock screws, just for looks.

That said, I won’t ever own another Kimber.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer
    Last edited by Rick McC.; 15th May 2019 at 22:36.

Posts liked by others
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by 00fxsts View Post
    Does anyone have or carry a 3",in 9mm or .45
    Also looking at Kimber & Sig

Thanks
    My opinion? 3" bbl 1911s are not that reliable. I've owned a few of them in the end I had to sell/trade. 2 Colt Defenders in .45 ACP, 1 Kimber Ultra Carry (.45 ACP) and a Philippine made Metro Arms Amigo (.45 ACP). The smallest 1911 I have is a SS Officers ACP.
    Likes (2) :
    MuyModesto (17th May 2019), Rick McC. (31st May 2019)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast