Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Range report on the Iver Johnson .38 Super

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Range report on the Iver Johnson .38 Super

I can not send pictures to the forum, but my pistol looks exactly like this one: https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/ive...per-automatic/

I disassembled, cleaned it, and oiled it the other day according to instructions. Afterward I did a function check, as I have always done with my Kimber. Got my shipment when the "Brown Truck of Happiness" delivered my stash of 150 Remington 130 gn .38 Super +P and some reloading supplies. Oh, and two Kim Pro Tac mags to go along with the Mec Gar mag that came with the gun. the MecGar feels thin, and frail, and decidedly goes at a less expensive price point. However it proved to be the better of the three magazines. The Kimbers will wear in, no doubt, and all fall free from the pistol. I will probably get more MecGar mags as time goes on. However, for my Kimber, there is no better mag than the Kim Pro Tac.

Went to the range yesterday. The range was unusually busy, apparently a lot of people got new guns for Christmas:-). I caught one over zealous cleaner sweeping up my .38 Super casings and throwing them away :-0 As a result, I returned to 80 to reload out of 100 fired.

My first shot at 7 yds placed the bullet right on top of my gun sight. Talk about shooting to point of aim! I lifted the site to the "X" mark on the silhouette target, and proceeded to punch a large ragged hole in the targets chest. The accuracy was excellent. The closest I have ever come to this level of accuracy was my old S&W Model 19. I was shooting two handed off hand, not with a rest.

Recoil, as expected, was noticeable but very controllable, especially after shooting a .45 Auto pistol so long. I made sure to work the safety, which was a little stiff, so as to begin to loosen it up some. Although this pistol does not have a bump on the grip safety, I had no trouble with gripping the gun correctly. The lack of a beavertail was also not a problem.

I had no FTF (meaning no stove pipes, but see below) or FTE during the first 100 rds, though I did have several failures to go fully into battery. In retrospect, though I think perhaps only two of those are actual failures to go into battery. I probably interpreted the other two times as failure to go into battery because I did not get the safety to fully engage. I did mention that the safety is a wee bit stiff? Taking the weapon off safety is no problem. Putting it back into safety sometimes meets with some resistance. I will have to work on that.

Did I mention that this is a 1911A1, which means there is no Schwartz safety? While I have not had any problems from my Kimber's Schwartz safety, and the weapon has fired every time through approximately 8.000 rnds, I do understand that anything extra added to a gun that is not needed just makes the gun that much more unreliable. So I was happy to note that this one does not have it.

Future range sessions will test the weapon out to 25 yds, and continue break in, which the company recommends 400 - 500 rds. I also intend to carry this gun, so I need to arrange a supply of hollow point cartridges, probably Sig Saur 125 gn +P "V-Point".

The Iver Johnson pistol is made in the Philippines. I do not know if it is made in the same factory as the Rock Island 1911 is made, but my experience so far is that this is of comparable quality and accuracy as the RIA pistols. The price point puts it in the $500-$700 range. The finish is nice, the fit is excellent. The grips are handsome and functioned well enough, though I will have to await summer to see how they function when I am sweat...uh...perspiring profusely in the brutal North Carolina summers.

Wade
    Likes (1) :
    11 Bravo (31st December 2017)

Last edited by PolyKahr; 31st December 2017 at 10:00.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by PolyKahr View Post
    The Iver Johnson pistol is made in the Philippines. I do not know if it is made in the same factory as the Rock Island 1911 is made, but my experience so far is that this is of comparable quality and accuracy as the RIA pistols. The price point puts it in the $500-$700 range. The finish is nice, the fit is excellent. The grips are handsome and functioned well enough, though I will have to await summer to see how they function when I am sweat...uh...perspiring profusely in the brutal North Carolina summers.
    Rock Island pistols are made by Armscor. The Iver Johnson 1911s are made by Shooters Arms Manufacturing (S.A.M.), another Philippines arms maker that has been making 1911s almost as long as Armscor.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for clearing that up Hawkmoon. I should have guessed since this is under "Shooters Arms Manufacturing" but sometimes I can be thick headed.

Wade