Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATI Beavertail grip safety

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

ATI Beavertail grip safety

I have a ATI Firepower Xtreme 45ACP Military 1911 and would like to install a drop in beaver tail safety. I ordered a Wilson Combat drop in but it ill not fit. It i just a little longer than the factory safety.

Is there a drop in replacement for this gun or is this solely a machine the frame to fit proposition?

Eric

Posts liked by others
    In which dimension is the grip safety too long? Where is the interference?

No grip safety is really "drop in". At the very least, the trigger block and overtravel surfaces need to be fitted.

-

Posts liked by others
    And which Wilson drop-in did you buy? Government, or Commannder?
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    I tried the Government (429BG). it fit up nicely until I tried to fully seat the main spring housing. If the main spring housing is fully seated the bottom of the grip safety is about 1/16th or so too long. I read that ATI's were made on Remington-Rand tools and that the Remington guns were a little "shorter" than the Colts. Don't know if this is factual or not.

Is the Commander safety a little shorter? Is there a source which lists the dimensions of the Govt and Commander?
    Last edited by mauser416; 31st December 2017 at 11:33.

Posts liked by others
    The fundamental rule is to work on the cheapest part. So do not file on the frame. Your description sounds like the interference is between the mainspring housing and safety. But first check the fit without the sear spring to rule out the unlikely event of the sear spring binding. Then decide if you want to massage the mainspring housing, the safety or a bit of both. Before that, however, a picture of the fitment issue would help.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by mauser416 View Post
    I read that ATI's were made on Remington-Rand tools and that the Remington guns were a little "shorter" than the Colts. Don't know if this is factual or not.
    May God save us from the Internet.

ATI 1911s are made in the Philippines by Shooters' Arms Manufacturing. It's extremely unlikely that Remington Rand's tooling somehow trekked from the U.S. to the Philippines once R-R's military contract had been completed. Further, ALL the military 1911s had to be parts interchangeable, so Remington-Rand pistols could not have been so short that a standard mainspring housing wouldn't fit.

Is the Commander safety a little shorter? Is there a source which lists the dimensions of the Govt and Commander?
    It's not shorter top to bottom, if that's where your problem lies. Are you certain your hammer strut didn't slip off-center during assembly? That would prevent the grip safety from fully depressing, and that in turn would obstruct seating the mainspring housing.
    Hawkmoon

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for the feedback. I re-visited the Brownell's page and found this under the Q&A for 965-429-100WB Blue Govt. Safety Mfr Part: 429BG which is the part I have
    :

Question
    5/28/2012
    i would like to know if this will fit into a full-sized ATI FX .45 1911. also i have a "spur" type hammer, will this affect function? do i need to get a skeletonized hammer?

Answer
    6/8/2012
    No, it will not fit. You will need to alter the frame for beavertail and use a Commander style hammer.

Brownells from Montezuma, IA

I guess this makes it official
    Last edited by mauser416; 1st January 2018 at 22:15.

Posts liked by others
    You still haven't clarified where/how the interference is taking place. You wrote that with the new Wilson grip safety in place you can't fully seat the mainspring housing, but there's no possible frame modification that would affect that. Please post some photos showing clearly what's going on.
    Hawkmoon

Posts liked by others
    The blue line shows the area that would have to be machined out
    IMG_0996_LI.jpg

Posts liked by others
    So the interference is with the recess in the frame rather than between the grip safety and the MSH? Why not just take a small file and round off the lower corners of the frip safety. If the problem is interference between the safety and the frame, then the grip safety must not function even when there's no MSH in the frame. That wasn't what I understood from your first two posts.
    Hawkmoon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast