Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: New old SA Trophy Match

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

New old SA Trophy Match

Hello,
    Need some help with my (new to me) old SA Trophy Match in .45ACP.
    There are rumors here in Europe that these old Trophy Match versions
    were tuned in the SA Custom shop and had a Kart barrel.
    Is that real?
    Which rear sight is that?
    Is the gun in it's original condtion (sights, safeties, trigger, hammer, etc)?
    Thanks a lot.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    We are the Pilgrims, Master
    We shall go always a little further,
    It may be beyond the last blue mountain barred with snow,
    Across that angry or glimmering sea …
    Last edited by Germanfritze; 29th December 2017 at 09:54.

Posts liked by others
    I believe the Trophy Match was a Custom Shop gun. It cost about 50% extra.
    They used Nowlin barrels in a lot of their Custom Shop guns.
    They have used LPA adjustable sights for some time. Is the elevation screw over the dovetail so that the slide did not have to be drilled and tapped?
    Likes (1) :
    Germanfritze (1st January 2018)

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for the infos!

How can I check if that is a Nowlin barrel???
    We are the Pilgrims, Master
    We shall go always a little further,
    It may be beyond the last blue mountain barred with snow,
    Across that angry or glimmering sea …

Posts liked by others
    Regarding the barrel:
    If you have access to cold-blue, try cold-blueing part of the barrel; if it works, it's carbon steel in-the-white, which suggests it's Kart's. If not, it's stainless, so it's definitely not a Kart barrel.

The rear sight is an LPA-cut bomar-style sight, probably made by LPA. SA still uses adjustable sights of this cut, often mistaken for Bomar-cut sights.

The frame is the old, pre 2002 squared grip and dust-cover version. Nothing wrong with that, except I believe the skinny hammer on the gun is more recent than that. A picture of it in the cocked position might help.

I think Trophy Match models came with a straight mainspring housing, but SA did use the arched quite a lot in the 90s, so since this is essentially a custom shop model, it could well be original.

The magazine in the gun is definitely not what came with it from the factory (it looks like the basepad of a ParaUSA mag to me), the magazine sitting next to the gun might be original.

Not sure about the front sight.

Finally, we can't see the thumb safety of the gun in this picture, but I think it's aftermarket. That's because I don't like the plum color of its crosspin.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter