Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: prep for new 1911?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    My unusual circumstances precluded hours at a range, so I did a complete disassembly except for the ejector and the plunger tube, used Flitz on the slide to frame (2 hrs) and 4000 wet dry, fine stones and Flitz to polish things like the trigger tunnel, disconnector, sear to hammer and trigger to sear shelve. Then cleaned everything with non paraffin cleaner(not wd40) oiled every part with Mobil 1, except for the slide where gun grease is used then reassembled and fired 50 230 gr. White box and 20 Super-X 185gr. Silver Tip HP. Had no FTF or FTL issues. Did in 2 hrs, and just kept the oil flowing, cleaned and re-oiled and called good. Next range trip 3 Mags of White Box 2 Mags of HP all good. Tried some Flat nose and SWC’s that my pistol didn’t like, that I think is the 14 lb. recoil spring, “but who needs stinking Wadcutters”.
    Last edited by airwing8404; 30th December 2017 at 21:15.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyros View Post
    On a side issue this part in the instructions confuses me slightly:

"For proper break-in, fire 400-500 rounds of 230 grain (or heavier) full metal jacket,
    high quality factory-fresh premium personal defense ammunition.
    "

230 grain OR HEAVIER defense ammo? Whazzat? I know some people sell 250 grain ammo, but is that 'defensive'?
    Personally I'd take that to mean use 230 grain ball ammo, for 400-500 rds-- Then use high quality defensive ammo (of your choice) to make sure that it functions properly in the pistol
    When Guns Are Outlawed
    Only Outlaws Will Have Guns

Posts liked by others
    I just came back to this thread and noticed Spyros' newest comment, in which he cited the quotation from the owner's manual:

For proper break-in, fire 400-500 rounds of 230 grain (or heavier) full metal jacket,
    high quality factory-fresh premium personal defense ammunition.
    That was written by a lawyer, not anyone who knows anything about handguns. Full metal jacket ammunition is "ball" ammunition. There is no ammunition manufacturer in the world today that sells FMJ, ball ammo as "premium personal defense" ammunition. All ammo sold for self defense/personal defense, from Winchester USA and Remington UMC right up through the most expensive brands, is hollow-point (or polymer-tipped, which is hollow-point with special goop in the hollow).

And good luck finding .45 ACP personal defense ammo heavier than 230-grain. The vast majority of it is probably 165-grain to 185-grain, with 200-grain and 230-grain lagging to the rear.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (3) :
    11 Bravo (2nd January 2018), airwing8404 (1st January 2018), ncviking (2nd January 2018)

Posts liked by others
    Hawk, I guess you could use this:
    https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...uct_list&c=161
    It would only cost $1,000+ to break it in.
    "Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you." --Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
    Likes (1) :
    airwing8404 (2nd January 2018)

Posts liked by others
    Or $120.00 for White Box, maybe a little less for Military Brown vs $1000.00, dah!

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by 11 Bravo View Post
    Hawk, I guess you could use this:
    https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...uct_list&c=161
    It would only cost $1,000+ to break it in.
    Some how, I don't think a +P ammo calling for a heavier recoil spring and a shock buffer is what Kimber has in mind.

45 ACP +P ammo is externally/dimensionally identical to 45 ACP ammo and can be fired in any 45 ACP firearm that is in normal operating condition. However, the greater pressures and power of the +P ammo will give you greater slide velocity and if you are going to shoot more than a box or two of +P ammo, you should consider replacing your recoil spring with a Wolf Spring that gives roughly 4 to 6 lbs more spring weight than factory stock springs. A shock buffer might also be a good addition although it is not too necessary if you use the stronger spring.
    And ... it's neither self defense ammo nor full metal jacket.

Basically, there's probably no way to satisfy all the criteria in Kimber's one, short sentence. To find 230-grain (or heavier) full metal jacketed, premium self defense ammunition is a contradiction in terms.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 2nd January 2018 at 20:47.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12