Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt Combat Elite-9 mm- Model 1911- series of 500 made for Franconia, Belgium

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Colt Combat Elite-9 mm- Model 1911- series of 500 made for Franconia, Belgium

Hi all,
    I hope this is the correct forum for this thread,
    I have recently acquired a Colt 1911 of the description shown in the title...

I bought it as more of a shooter than as a collector's item- it is in very good shape- bore is excellent, and so far it has shot very well with no issues at all
    (S&B 124 gr FMJRN). Unfortunately it does have the "slide stop scratch" but... other than that, the gun is in beautiful condition.

I was wondering if any 1911 experts have more information on the history of this particular order- why this series of 500 was made, when it was filled (I understand in the early 90's) and any other details. As far as I know, Colt is the manufacturer of this series... I have looked on the internet for other details, but so far have come up with very little.

A few photos here below:
    IMG_1277.jpgIMG_1276.jpg

Many thanks in advance!

Cheers,
    RShaw
    It is a smart person who gives away what cannot be kept to gain that which cannot be lost.

Posts liked by others
    You could phone Colt, they will give you the year of manufacture.
    Tel: 800-962-COLT (2658) * Mon-Fri 9am to 5pm EST

I don't have any deep insight as to the basis of the order. Franconia obviously ordered what they thought would sell.
    It appears to be all Colt except for the common aftermarket ambidextrous safety and the LPA rear sight, so all it really required of Colt was to assemble guns. Perhaps 500 was the minimum order for an uncataloged special request.

Posts liked by others
    The front sight is aftermarket, too.

The model was not listed in this caliber but versions in .45 Auto, .38 Super and even a 10mm/.40S&W dual barrel/spring combo were listed, all at around 1993-96. Colt still had to make the 'COMBAT ELITE 9mm LUGER' rollmark for the left side of the slide, though, so making the gun wasn't simply a matter of mixing & matching parts...

A nice looking pistol. The green side of a Scotchbrite pad might be able to do something about the scratch, if it bothers you. Try it under the grips first!

Question, is the frontstrap under the grips plain or does it have any serrations?
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Hi Spyros, Jim,
    Thanks for the phone number!!
    Both the backstrap as well as the frontstrap have parallel serrations running the length of each.
    Not checkering (cross hatched) but rather parallel lines.
    No, the scratch doesn't bother me too much. I'm, not happy about it of course, but it's not too bad.
    I have the original rear sight for this gun, the sight now on there was fitted by the previous owner.
    It shoots very well!
    It is a smart person who gives away what cannot be kept to gain that which cannot be lost.
    Last edited by RShaw; 23rd December 2017 at 16:37.

Posts liked by others
    The serrations under your grips confirm this is an Elite-series pistol; Elite models and most Gold-Cups have these serrations, even though they were sold with wrap-around grips!

I'm not sure because of the angle, but the rear sight you have now looks like an LPA design. Nice, simple and low.

But since your front sight doesn't look original, I wonder if the previous rear sight you have is the OEM sight -- if it matters. The original would have looked like this (perhaps with white dots):

Your current front sight looks like those on the original MEU-SOC pistols... I forget what they were called. If so, the rear you have might be the one in this picture:

M. Setter
    Last edited by Spyros; 24th December 2017 at 03:41.

Posts liked by others
    Hi Spyros,
    Many thanks for your reply!
    The front sight is indeed virtually identical to the front sight in the photo above,
    The rear sight is not quite the same... Is that the factory sight? Looks like it...

I enclose a few photos below- what do you think?
    Do you recognize the rear sight now on the gun? The instructions indicate an LPA sight...
    The original rear sight is also pictured as a separate item- Is this, as you say, an OEM sight?

Thanks for your coments!
    Cheers,
    RShaw
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RShaw; 24th December 2017 at 05:10.

Posts liked by others
    Nice pistol!
    I put the same LPA (TPU Series) rear sight on a Norinco M1911A1. These sights are very well built and hold up well. Certainly a step up from the fixed rear. Your other pictured rear sight looks like a Bomar style, maybe made by Kensight.

Posts liked by others
    Front sight looks like a Millett, the "skirt" and style of paint is theirs.
    I used a couple of those LPA sights... until my gunsmith bought a milling machine and could put in low mount Bomars.

Your second sight appears to have the elevation screw threaded into the male dovetail, which is not the standard Bomar design. LPA does, though.

Posts liked by others
    Many thanks for the information on these sights... So far they have performed well.
    I should run a test session from a bench to see where the sights are really directed.

I have a Smith Model 41 with the rear sight similar to the original Bomar sight, and I have never adjusted that at all- it is spot on at 10 meters.
    I'm very happy with this 1911.....

Posts liked by others
    Your older rear sight isn't factory, it's adjustable in the Bomar style but with a different dovetail cut -- used by many makers like Para, Springfield, Kimber and many others. It might be made by LPA too, but if that's the case it's quite an old one -- about as old as the gun, actually.

Your factory rear sight should look like the one in the first picture in my previous post.
    M. Setter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast