Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from Brownells, Cabela's, TandemKros or Tekmat, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Also, don't forget to visit our other sponsors sites, click-throughs are appreciated by our advertisers. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Correct OEM Mag for 1975 Colt MK IV Govt Model

Posts liked by others

Correct OEM Mag for 1975 Colt MK IV Govt Model

I recently acquired a Colt Series 70 MK IV Govt model and it came with a Checkmate manufactured magazine (C stamped in corner of baseplate) with Colt .45 Auto and a Rampant Colt image also stamped on the baseplate. I am wondering if the magazine is what it would have shipped with in 1975? I have read extensively on the Colt 1911 Commercial mags during the 1970's - 1980's period and can not find definitive info on whether a 1975 Series 70 MK IV Govt Model would have shipped with a mag just stamped Colt .45 Auto. (Double dot) or if the mag would have been stamped Colt .45 Auto with the Rampant Colt image. Any help from those with NIB 1975 Colt MK IV Govt Models would be appreciated. Thank you

Posts liked by others
    I don't own a 1975 GM but pony marked magazines indicate 1980s era.
    Last edited by Doran; 2nd December 2017 at 13:34. Reason: typo

Posts liked by others
    I purchased a new Government Model .45 in 1975. Mine has the large font roll marks on the slide and non checkered silver medallion stocks. It came with a double . (dot) magazine. Base plate reads COLT over .45 AUTO. I forgot to add that the magazine HAS a drain hole.
    Last edited by hotrod1984s10; 2nd December 2017 at 07:36. Reason: Added info

Posts liked by others
    I think it would look like the one on the bottom which is from a 78 Gov I bought new that year. The ones on the top are made by Checkmate (C) and Metalform (M).

NRA Life Member