Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: How long will a LB last?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

How long will a LB last?

Hi from Germany,

I own a LB 1911 Premier I, built on a Caspian frame (probably not forged), for about 8 years now. Bought it new from old stock, obviously one of only a few Premier I that came to Germany around 1994/95. The gun came with fixed sights, front sight pinned, no beavertail and standard spur hammer. Shot dead straight POA at 25 meters and won me a lot of target competitions since then. It has about 15000 rounds until now.

So when compared to my wife's LB Premier II (made in the late 90's) on a Baer frame (Illinois), the slide has developed some play: You can tilt the slide lateral noticeably. Which my wife's LB doesn't. I'm not quite sure if the lateral play has an effect on accuracy, but for the last 2 years, my bullseye results were not as good as they used to be (compared to my SIG 210 9mm, with which my results are as good as ever). Do I have to worry about the LB's durability? Maybe consider a refurbishment?

Any hints welcome

regards from Germany
    Ulrich

Posts liked by others
    I’ve had my Premier II since 1996, it’s been a duty and concealed carry gun for the time I’ve had it. As far wearing out a 1911, it would be difficult to do. Does the accuracy still meet your requirements? The play in the slide isn’t nearly as critical as the barrel fit and lockup. If the gun won’t shoot up to your standards, Les or many other gunsmiths can replace your barrel ang put you back where you want to be. Good luck!

Posts liked by others
    thanks Firecontrol90,

just to explain my issue (if it is one at all): When Bullseye shooting I used to have a score of 370-378 of 400 with both the LB and my SIG 210 with a slight advantage to the LB due to it's better sights (the LB has a post front sight and an adjustable Novak rear sight, while the SIG has the original duty iron sights with a very narrow front sight). Although I quite often have problems with proper aiming due to my age and deteriorating eye sight, I now have the higher score with the SIG (still between 365-375 of 400) while the score with the LB dropped to 350-365.

So I figure out it might not be me but the gun. When the LB was new, it could be compared to the SIG regarding accuracy.

I checked the LB in a closer look to some points you mentioned: There is no play at the bushing, no play of the barrel in battery, edges of the locking lugs are sharp. Borehole of slide stop is a VERY little bit enlarged on left side of the frame. The barrel looks good with sharp lands (I mostly shoot copper plated lead bullets). So far only the slide-to-frame-fit seems to show wear. What can a gunsmith do about that?

BTW: I'm located in Germany, so having LB work obn the gun is not an option. But there are several good gunsmiths with much knowledge of 1911 around here.

regards
    Ulrich
    Likes (1) :
    Poohgyrr (9th June 2018)

Posts liked by others
    One of my closest Internet "friends whom I have never met" used his commercial vacuum chamber laser micro-welder to build up the frame rails on a 1911 that had a similar accuracy issue. The welds were impressive to my untrained eye as the weld only added .02 inches of material to the outer rails and did no damage whatsoever to the frame's finish. So the rails can be welded nicely if you can find a smith with the right experience and equipment.

Posts liked by others
    Another possibility is to simply put the slide in a vise and squeeze the rails together slightly. But that should be attempted only after verifying that the rail dimensions are uniform for the entire length.

If micro welding is not available, the rails could be built up with conventional TIG welding and then re-machined to whatever dimension and tolerance you need. I have not done that for slide rails, but I had a Para-Ordnance P12.45 that the previous owner had sot so much that the narrow section on the disconnector rail (underneath the slide) -- the part between the disconnector notch and the firing pin safety plunger) was badly peened and deformed. I sent it to a well-qualified 1911 gunsmith who TIG welded it and then re-machined it to the original profile. When it came back, it looked like a new slide. You can't tell where anything was done to it.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    The chances of truly wearing out a Baer gun are low at best, that doesn't mean that things won't loosen up. You might want to contact Les and explain your situation and ask for recommendations within your ability and location of repair. He and the LBC team do care about their products and appreciate the people that use them.

Jim
    Likes (1) :
    Rick McC. (23rd August 2019)