Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Do Other Members Experiencing This?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Do Other Members Experiencing This?

While ago I sent a message to our admin about a message coming out of my screen about the site infected by some form of virus. Do you also experience this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Posts liked by others
    I run Avast as my anti-virus software and I have never seen that particular warning, for this site or for any other site.

The warning says "See details" at lower right. Have you clicked that for details?
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    I have just accessed the same page you did. I am also running Avast as my antivirus, albeit on a Mac, but I tried the same page from a PC running Windows 10 of my son. No such message pops-up, as you can see in the screen shot I attach here. In the picture, you can see your screen shot and below it a browser window, on my computer, showing the same thread. No messages from Avast, or anything else.

There is definitely something that is unique to your computer, I wish I could tell you how to solve it. However, a virus is usually not spread by accessing a web site, see this document. Also, please let me know if you get this message, no matter what page you try to access in our site, for example, try this:

https://forum.m1911.org/misc.php?do=showlegal

This is a plain html page, no scripts are run. Tell me if you get the Avast message in this page too.
    Screen Shot 2017-11-28 at 22.51.12.jpg
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org
    Last edited by John; 28th November 2017 at 15:03.

Posts liked by others
    I too have seen browser redirects when accessing this site but only from clicking a google search result. However, in my case, I believe what I am seeing is my ISP's (or someone else's) monetization engine redirected to an ad-laden site - not that I could ever prove that. I do know the ISP injects ads into youtube video streams via a transparent proxy and employs other ad-related schemes or, at least, browsing on a "different" non-monetized network produces significantly different results than when using my ISP. On the positive side, I do see a lot of nice gun ads for some reason - not that I have any interest in firearms

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by pjk9hp View Post
    While ago I sent a message to our admin about a message coming out of my screen about the site infected by some form of virus. Do you also experience this?
    Are you running just the basic Avast, or did you allow Avast to install a bunch of its supplementary "features"? Recently, they've added a lot of bells and whistles that seem to create more problems than they provide any real security. I think they have one called "Safe Browsing," and another that has something to do with shopping ("SafePrice"?), and something called "WebRep," and there may be a couple of others. I don't remember -- I removed them all, and now when I update Avast I decline the installation of any of that garbage.

I suggest reading this:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...us/6oHaKbGB-5A

Also, what browser do you use? I hope it's not Avast's "SafeZone" browser. IMHO that's another piece of garbageware.
    Hawkmoon
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 29th November 2017 at 07:19.

Posts liked by others
    Hi, sorry for late reply. The virus message is gone when I opened this site maybe couple of days ago. I didn't do anything even till now. I'm just using the free antivirus from Avast. When I clicked on the details from that virus message before, it just stated the same information about the virus seen in this site. Anyway, since it's gone now, so I'm good. By the way, here's a screen shot of Avast details. Thanks.
    avast info.jpg

Posts liked by others
    From the screen shot it appears you are running Internet Explorer. At least, it doesn't look like Firefox. Check your add-ons. I'll bet Avast installed a couple or three of its extensions when you installed it, and those cause problems (IMHO).
    Hawkmoon

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    From the screen shot it appears you are running Internet Explorer. At least, it doesn't look like Firefox. Check your add-ons. I'll bet Avast installed a couple or three of its extensions when you installed it, and those cause problems (IMHO).
    Unless I'm very much mistaken, that's Chrome. And it too is subject to Avast's addons, specifically the one called 'Avast On-line Security'.

pjk9hp, try an on-line search to read about these addons and how much extra safety they do [NOT] offer you. Here's one from my favorite site about these things:
    https://www.howtogeek.com/239950/don...you-less-safe/
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    I really do not understand how Avast is checking for the security of a site. For example, here is a Google search for "M1911 pistol".

As you see, the top site (being Wikipedia) is considered to be safe (the green check mark means safe). Further down, Springfield's site is not rated (grey check mark) and that's understandable, since it is not an https site, but then the range365.com and our site www.m1911.org, both of which are https sites, are also not rated. Not even Colt's site is rated, not even Browning's. BUT a site called taskandpurpose .com is!!!

Can someone explain to me how these safety ratings are generated by Avast Online Security and why the Google integrates them in their results? Because I haven't found a way to have Avast check out a site to rank it. And of course, the same Google search done with Safari, or with Firefox, do not show those Avast rates.

Isn't it interesting how things work in contemporary Internet?!?!!?
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    John, remove the Avast plug in from your browser (Tools > Addons > Extensions).

The bottom line (as explained in my link, further up) is that whatever checks antivirus programs do, in our browsers, the browsers themselves do them anyway. Not only that, but in the past, such plugins would OVERRIDE standard security checks (e.g. SSL certificates), replacing them with their own, questionable checks (see link in my previous post for details). So while they advertised themselves as extra safe, they were, in fact, making us LESS safe, or were subject to out-of-date information (e.g. expired certificates).

Another worthwhile read from the same source, regarding freeware anti-virus programs in general:
    https://www.howtogeek.com/218675/bew...-free-anymore/
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter