Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from Brownells, Cabela's, TandemKros or Tekmat, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Also, don't forget to visit our other sponsors sites, click-throughs are appreciated by our advertisers. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Para Super Hawg recoil spring ??

Posts liked by others

Para Super Hawg recoil spring ??

Hi - I wanna replace the recoil spring in at least one of my Para Super Hawgs - I bought them used, with no idea of how much they'd been shot, and I had cycling problems with one of them - changing the recoil spring seems a likely, and inexpensive, first step.

Can anyone tell me what type of spring I should get, specifically, and where I could get it? I couldn't find anything on Wolff about longslide 1911s, and the guy on the phone from Wolff wasn't much help, either.

And I'm guessing that the Super Hawg and the Super Hawg Hi Cap would both use the same spring? THANKS!

Posts liked by others
    I'm a bit surpsied that Wolff couldn't provide any advice. Their paper catalog from a few years ago has a recoil spring pack for longslide 1911s, but no specific information. But it's a starting point ... if they still offer the product. And it's on their web site:

https://www.gunsprings.com/COLT/1911.../mID1/dID1#800

I would suggest starting with the calibration kit. Once you figure out which spring works best for you, you'll know what to order in the future.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Finally found the longslide spring kit and talked with the right guy at Wolff - he advised against simply buying the spring kit, explaining that there would be quite a bit of gunsmithing and trial and error - I'm looking for more of a drop in approach - I think I found what I needed at Sarco - Para Ordnance Recoil Spring 6" 45 CAL
    PAR40F.

Posts liked by others
    "Quite a bit of gunsmithing and trial and error"? Sure, you may have to snip off a coil or two, to eliminate binding. Other than that, I don't see what the fuss is about.

A couple of springs from Sarco ought to last you long enough for this not to matter.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Maybe i misunderstood the guy at Sarco, I don't know, but what I was looking for was a drop in spring, not a trial-and-error situation - it looks like Sarco had what I needed.

Posts liked by others
    You still need to check for coil bind. You ALWAYS check for coil bind when installing a new recoil spring.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    What Hawk said. Never assume that a recoil spring, from any source (including the factory) will simply drop in. That's how barrel bushings get broken.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for the guidance about coil bind - I will check it with the replacement spring.