Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from Brownells, Cabela's, TandemKros or Tekmat, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Also, don't forget to visit our other sponsors sites, click-throughs are appreciated by our advertisers. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Para Super Hawg recoil spring ??

Posts liked by others
    When ya say that "the springs shorten with use", what do ya mean?? Looking at the old spring versus the replacement spring, they look pretty much the same, aside from the length - what i mean is the old spring doesn't appear to be compressed - the distance from one loop to the next is pretty much the same in both springs. When a spring get's weaker over time with use, it may look the same but it just isn't as "stout" any more, right ?? THANKS very much.

Posts liked by others
    No. The spring takes an initial set when first installed and cycled a few times and will appear slightly shorter at that time than an unused recoil spring. As the spring is used more it appears even shorter than when first installed. By the time a recoil spring has several thousand cycles on it it will appear even shorter compared to an unused spring. Looking at my 16 pound Wolff spring with around 2000 rounds fired it measures 1 and 1/2 inches shorter than a new unused spring.
    "Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you." --Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for the explanation, 11 Bravo - I would never have guessed that it works like that - LOL, so much to learn about this stuff!

Posts liked by others
    Well, I got the gun back together with the new, longer spring - WOW - what a bear !!! Compressing the spring was tough enough, but then the plunger lever restricted the slide from going on all the way - I really had to convince the slide to slide over the plunger lever - seems to be working OK now. I did notice that the right hand ambi thumb safety wanted to fall out sometimes when I was getting the slide back on - it seems OK now that the gun is completely reassembled. Thanks for your guidance, and your patience!

Posts liked by others
    I would still follow the instructions to check for spring binding just to be sure. If the spring does bind because it's a hair too long it can damage the pistol while firing. Also, as I'm sure you already know, if the new spring has an open end and the other end is closed (wound into a circle) be sure the open end is installed closest to the muzzle.
    "Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you." --Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by texas yankee View Post
    SO, I got some Para Ordnance 6" 1911 recoil springs from Sarco for my Super Hawg - the "6"" refers to the length of the barrel, as the springs are 9" long - the original spring that came out of the gun is 7" - so the Sarco springs are about 2" longer than the spring that came out of the Super Hawg - I was expecting a similar-sized replacement spring, since they were specifically designated as Para 6" 1911 springs - I guess I can try putting in the Sarco springs as they are, or clip them so they're maybe just slightly longer than the spring that came out of the gun - what's the best approach? And why do they ship 6" springs that are so much longer than the original spring ???
    Don't measure length -- count coils. And do check for coil bind.

What do you want to bet that the springs you got are the same as what Wolff sells? My thinking is that Para didn't make a whole lot of 6-inch 1911s. I'm going to guess that they may well have skipped trying to engineer their own recoil springs, and just reached out to Wolff for a batch of whatever Wolff sells for 6-inch 1911s. But I think that's a universal spring that can be used in either 6-inch or 7-inch guns, which is why Wolff says it requires gunsmithing. The most critical thing is to determine whether or not there's coil bind. Once past that hurdle, fire some standard-power ammunition and see how far the empty cases fly when ejected. If they just barely dribble out of the ejection port, you need to clip a couple of coils off the spring, then test again.

I know you were looking for a drop-in replacement, but I don't think you got what you were hoping for.

I suggest that you review this installation sheet from Wolff: https://www.gunsprings.com/content/F...structions.pdf

Note that they don't say their "longslide" springs are for 6-inch slides. They say they are for pistols with up to a 3-inch space for the spring -- when the slide is fully retracted. Going from memory, a Government model has something like 1-5/8", so the Wolff springs are good for more than a 6-inch pistol. In fact, the Wolff springs are good for more than a 3" space. That installation instruction sheet tells us that the Wolff longslide springs can be installed in pistols with 3 inches or more of spring space (at full recoil) without modification. For pistols with less than 3 inches of space for the recoil spring, the new spring has to be cut to avoid coil bind.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 2nd December 2017 at 17:33.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by texas yankee View Post
    Well, I got the gun back together with the new, longer spring - WOW - what a bear !!! Compressing the spring was tough enough, but then the plunger lever restricted the slide from going on all the way - I really had to convince the slide to slide over the plunger lever - seems to be working OK now. I did notice that the right hand ambi thumb safety wanted to fall out sometimes when I was getting the slide back on - it seems OK now that the gun is completely reassembled. Thanks for your guidance, and your patience!
    Please make sure you check for spring binding before you fire the gun with the new spring.

Check for binding = remove barrel bushing and plug, pull slide all the way to the rear, mark how far back the slide gets (get a pencil and draw a vertical line in both slide & frame), reinstall bushing & plug, make sure the pencil mark lines up again.

If the mark doesn't line up, cut half a spring coil and try again.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12