Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The hammer follows to half-cock when I release the slide. Is that a problem?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Seems like you could safely perform this hold the trigger back and release the slide test while using a .45 snap cap in a magazine couldn't you?
    Maybe I'm missing something, wouldn't be the first time!

Thanks for all the useful information, gentlemen. Every visit is a new classroom.

Posts liked by others
    Stone, its the mass of the real cartridge that slows the slide down and keeps it from jarring the engagement. Some people call it a test to drop the slide on an empty mag, and I suppose it can serve as such if performed once or twice.

Another way to be reassured about the health of your trigger job is to examine the engagement, making certain you have adequate hammer hook height and adequate sear face engagement along with the correct angles.

This whole thing is similar in nature to the dreaded Smith & Wesson "pushoff test". Everyone and his dog seems to know about this "test". What they don't know (usually) is how to do it correctly. Folks, a S&W revolver will eventually push off if you keep performing the test for pushoff. As usual, there is a better way to check out the safety of the trigger. I've had to replace the hammer in more than one revolver that I let someone borrow. (They just couldn't resist....well, you know.)

-Lazarus
    "Do not fix that which is not broken."

Posts liked by others
    John, I had a simular malfucton with a Auto-Ord. the problem with this case was a out of round hammer pin. check your pin for true, It may the problem.
    Keith
    Martin Custom Arms, www.martincustomarms.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12