Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The hammer follows to half-cock when I release the slide. Is that a problem?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries

The hammer follows to half-cock when I release the slide. Is that a problem?

OK, let's clear one thing from the begining:

Letting the slide run forward at full speed, with no magazine in the pistol, is harmful for your beloved 1911.

Do not do it.

The above action can destroy a perfectly good trigger job.

Another question we often receive is this:

"When I let the slide run forward without a magazine in the pistol, the hammer follows to half-cock. Is this normal?"

The answer is of course NO. The hammer should not follow to half-cock when you release the slide (even though you should not release the slide without a magazine in place).

What happens here is that the slide rushing forward jerks the whole gun forward. Your pistol's trigger, obeying Newton's laws prefers to stay put, so it nudges the disconnector hard enough to disengage the sear from the hammer hooks.

Do the following test:

Lock your slide open and while holding the trigger back, release the slide. If the hammer does not follow the slide in this test, then you can correct the problem by applying some more pressure on the disconnector, by bending the central sear spring prong inwards, towards the front of the pistol. If the hammer follows with the trigger pulled back, then your problem is more involved, and has to do with the sear/hammer engagement.

If your pistol passed the above test with the trigger pulled back, then proceed to check it doing a normal reload with a couple of rounds in a magazine. In other words, insert a magazine with 2-3 rounds in the pistol, lock the slide back and let it ram forward at full speed (DO NOT HOLD THE TRIGGER BACK NOW). If the hammer does not follow, you are probably OK. If it does, then you'd better have that pistol serviced as soon as possible.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org
    Last edited by John; 20th March 2007 at 03:17.

Posts liked by others
    John,
    Is this a typo?
    "Lock your slide open and while holding the trigger back, release the slide. If the hammer does not follow the slide in this test, then you can correct the problem ...
    My hammer does not follow the slide (stays cocked). This is due to the diconnector operating correctly, right!?
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.
    It only takes a second to dial 911; it could take the rest of your life for help to arrive...
    Posts are my opinion based on my experience; YMMV.

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    No this is not a typo. If you have issues with your hammer following the slide to the half-cock, it can be due to (a) inertia from a heavy trigger or (b) problems with the sear/hammer engagement. If you hold the trigger back, and release the slide, if the hammer falls, some more tension on the middle leaf of the sear spring can correct your problem. If it still follows, then it's time to check your sear/hammer engagement surfaces.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC

Posts liked by others
    But John,

I don't understand. Your post says: "Lock your slide open and while holding the trigger back, release the slide. If the hammer does not follow the slide in this test, then you can correct the problem..."

What is the problem if the hammer does not follow the slide? Don't you mean if the hammer does follower the slide?
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.
    It only takes a second to dial 911; it could take the rest of your life for help to arrive...

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    First you try letting the slide run forward without holding the trigger and the hammer follows. So we have a problem. Then lock the slide back and release it again, this time HOLDING the trigger back. If the hammer does not follow, then adding some pressure in the middle finger of the sear spring can correct the problem (the problem of the hammer following the slide to half-cock, when the slide is released, without holding the trigger back).

Does that clarifies it for you?
    John Caradimas SV1CEC

Posts liked by others

OIC, it's a TWO part test...

OIC Duh!

The second part of the test doesn't apply if the first part of the test passes...

Posts liked by others

sear/hammer remedial action

Quote Originally Posted by John
    No this is not a typo. If you have issues with your hammer following the slide to the half-cock, it can be due to (a) inertia from a heavy trigger or (b) problems with the sear/hammer engagement. If you hold the trigger back, and release the slide, if the hammer falls, some more tension on the middle leaf of the sear spring can correct your problem. If it still follows, then it's time to check your sear/hammer engagement surfaces.
    Good day mr. john Caradimas,
    I'd experienced also the same sear/hammer problem with my newly acquired 9mm m1911A2-FS-2 armscor. What i did was to put/provide a spacer made of plastic about 0.5mm thick in between the sear spring and the main spring housing. From that day untill now , my gun works properly. Am I doing the right remedial action sir? What is the right thing to do if i was wrong? Please help me sir.
    Thank you very much!

TRYCO

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Tryco, this kind of solutions are not to be used in a gun. Altering the pressure put by the sear spring, is a simple job. Just put the spring in a vice, so that the lower, solid part of it is held inside the jaws and bend the legs to supply more (or less pressure). Try the gun again. If the sear spring doesn't seem to hold the pressure you put in it (it bends back after a little use), just throw it away and buy a Colt sear spring and be done with it. Plastic things (or even metallic things) in the wrong places can create havoc, and you do not want that in a gun. The sear spring is a cheap part, don't experiment with different solutions.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC

Hi John!

So letting the slide run forward at full speed with no loaded mag in the pistol is the only way to test if you have a safe trigger job? Just had my trigger group worked on and everytime the gunsmith slams the slide for 3 to 5 consecutive times, my heart aches seeing my beloved gun slamming.

Thanks!

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    This is a standard test that you should perform two or thee times after a trigger job is done. NOT MORE, more makes me sick too. If I give my pistol to some one and he tries to do this, I grab it and ... slap him! I know what you mean when you say that your heart aches, but it is a test that should be done, once. Or twice. And that's it.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast