Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Happy Thanksgiving

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from Brownells, Cabela's, TandemKros or Tekmat, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Also, don't forget to visit our other sponsors sites, click-throughs are appreciated by our advertisers. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Armscor Rock Island Armory Baby Rock Review discussion thread

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by horse 91-A1 View Post
    Well written review, about the 9mm Kurz:

Recently while at a gun show I overheard a sales person conversing with a customer about a .380. The sales person explained the 9mm Kurz as being a short 9mm....and the short 9mm is a lot more powerful than the .380.
    I once overheard almost exactly the same conversation, except it was about the .32ACP Vs the 7.65mm Browning. That one went thus: one guy had read somewhere that the .32 was woefully inadequate for self-defense -- so stay clear of that. But he was a movie buff and knew that James Bond had a Beretta in 7.65mm, so...
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    I have a LLAMA III-A and wonder if the magazines are interchangeable. Also do the Armscor mags function well in the LLAMA?

Posts liked by others
    M.W.
    I think the only way you could resolve that is to find somebody that owns both weapons. Or, maybe on the 1911 Forum under Armscor.
    Blackie

https://forum.m1911.org/forumdisplay...or-Rock-Island
    Last edited by SUPER.38; 6th November 2017 at 08:30.

Posts liked by others
    The article compares the gun with a Llama Micromax, which is very similar to [if not the same as] the III-A. The writer didn't shoot the RIA with the Llama Micromax magazine, or vice versa, but he did try the Llama magazine in the Baby Rock, and the Baby Rock magazine in the Llama. They fit, and locked in place.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrench View Post
    I have a LLAMA III-A and wonder if the magazines are interchangeable. Also do the Armscor mags function well in the LLAMA?
    Here's a follow-up on this matter, from Mr. Loomis:

With apologies, I can't answer this question with absolute certainty. At the time we were doing the review, the Llama pistol we had for comparison was a Micromax 380, which was newer than the Model III-A by a decade or more. We did go so far as switching magazines between the guns on the bench and finding that each magazine locked in place in the other pistol. We didn't go any futher than that.

Upon reading the review of the Baby Rock, a friend across town volunteered that he owns a Llama III-A. When this question was raised, I asked him if we could do some experimenting, and he readily agreed. Here's what we found:

The height of the magazine catch slot in the magazine tubes is slightly different between the Baby Rock and the Llama III-A. It's off by enough that the difference is visible when the two magazines are held side-by-side. The Armscor magazine will not lock in place in the Llama III-A. If the magazine is held firmly in place (which essentially requires three hands), dummy rounds fed smoothly. But you can't really shoot it that way.

Going the other way, the Llama III-A magazine fits into the Baby Rock and locks in place. The Llama magazine is just a bit fatter -- it goes into the pistol smoothly, but there's enough drag that it won't pop out when the magazine catch is depressed; you have to pull it out. Because the catch slot on the Llama magazine is higher, I expected it to lock in place, but I didn't expect it to feed. To my surprise, at least with dummy rounds (A-Zoom snap caps, to be specific) it feed smoothly and reliably. Unfortunately, when I arrived at the range I found it closed for renovations, so it was not possible to try any live fire testing of the Baby Rock with the Llama magazine.

I hope that helps.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Wish they would make a Baby Rock in 9 mm.

Posts liked by others
    Josh,
    I own 6 RIA 1911s Including the Baby rock. They are all running stock except for Beavertail grip safeties. They run singer sewing machines
    Never had any desire to doctor them up. In the past 15 years, I have not had any major malfunctions other that my .22TCM/9MM had a misaligned
    firing pin in the breech, causing light strikes. RIA replaced the weapon within 3 weeks.
    My carry weapon of choice is the RIA .22TCM/9mm HI Cap (Carried in 9MM config)
    Methinks you are overly cautious. :<)
    Blackie
    Last edited by SUPER.38; 12th November 2017 at 17:50.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12