Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Dear members,
Please make sure the email address we have for you, is correct and valid.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Armscor Rock Island Armory Baby Rock Review discussion thread

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries

Armscor Rock Island Armory Baby Rock Review discussion thread

Please use this thread to discuss our review of Armscor Baby Rock, as it appears in our E-zine.

Thanks
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    Hello,

Being a lefty, I'm not sure.

The 1911 appeals to me partly because of the availability of the ambidextrous safety. Additionally, while I like Armscor, I do prefer using tooled steel for carry pistols. The 1911 on my side right now started life as a Rock Island 1911 FS, but now has U-notch rear and Tritium front sights, EGW sear, disconnector, thumb safety, mag catch, ejector, FPS, bushing, plug, etc; Brown hammer, trigger, and beavertail; and S&A magwell.

The original parts, though I'm sure were fine, did not inspire confidence for carry. For the range, yes.

I'd love to be able to buy this thing, gut it, and replace the parts I want with forged parts. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of anyone making forged replacements.

This is the same issue I have with the other micro-1911-type .380 pistols like Kimber's offerings. I'm not picking on Armscor at all.

Regards,

Josh

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for the review. So the Baby Rock is less like a 1911 than the Browning 1911-380 and more like an old Llama III-A. Named after a horse but really decended from a camel.

I wish someone could do a side by side of the Baby Rock and the 1911-380.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    I wish someone could do a side by side of the Baby Rock and the 1911-380.[/COLOR]
    We almost did. John published a review of the Browning 1911-380 in the previous issue of the e-zine. Both reviews have dimensional comparisons to the Colt Government 380, and both have accuracy results that were fired by the same reviewer at the same range.

In fact -- I just looked, and both reviews even have a photo of the pistol on the same sight-in target with 1-inch grid squares, for comparing size graphically.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    My Colt Gov't .380 is locked breech, recoil operated. But it has a solid backstrap like a Spanish Star.

I don't remember whether it was a Star or a Llama, but one of the Spanish brands, the .22 and .32 were blowback and the .380 was locked breech.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    We almost did. John published a review of the Browning 1911-380 in the previous issue of the e-zine. Both reviews have dimensional comparisons to the Colt Government 380, and both have accuracy results that were fired by the same reviewer at the same range.

In fact -- I just looked, and both reviews even have a photo of the pistol on the same sight-in target with 1-inch grid squares, for comparing size graphically.
    I know, but having both on the range the same day in the same hand would make a comparison of the recoil of each more accurate.

Posts liked by others
    "Armscorís specifications for the Baby Rock list the capacity as 7+1. The magazine is capable of holding eight rounds, and has witness holes for 8 rounds"

My magazine has seven witness holes, and holds 7 rounds.
    My baby rock came with 1 (one) magazine.
    My baby rock's trigger pull is 4 pounds.

Since I bought and paid for it, I will call it a baby 1911. :<)

I had a Llama .380 and it was jam city. The only ammo I ever got it to shoot
    error free was a box of lead bullets that came with the purchase from a neighbour.
    Blackie

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/16...nose-box-of-50
    Likes (1) :
    Mark75H (31st October 2017)

Last edited by SUPER.38; 31st October 2017 at 11:15.

Posts liked by others
    Nice review, Hawk, thanks!

It does seem like a decent shooting pistol for someone wanting a .380 that they could get a grip on.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer
    Likes (2) :
    horse 91-A1 (1st November 2017), Mark75H (31st October 2017)

Posts liked by others
    Well written review, about the 9mm Kurz:

Recently while at a gun show I overheard a sales person conversing with a customer about a .380. The sales person explained the 9mm Kurz as being a short 9mm....and the short 9mm is a lot more powerful than the .380.
    NRA Life Member since '67

"Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake."
    Napoleon

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by horse 91-A1 View Post
    Well written review, about the 9mm Kurz:

Recently while at a gun show I overheard a sales person conversing with a customer about a .380. The sales person explained the 9mm Kurz as being a short 9mm....and the short 9mm is a lot more powerful than the .380.
    That's great I love it!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast