Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone have a LLama minmax 45acp subcompact

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by SUPER.38 View Post
    Hawkmonn,
    I concede, I see what you mean. But I reserve the right to hate the grips on the Micromax. They take away from the look of the 1911. :<(
    The finger grooves? I think they were necessary to get BATFE approval to import the gun. The BATFE had a points system for evaluating handguns for import. I believe the intent was to prevent the importation of small, cheap, "Saturday night special" type pistols. One of the items on the list of things that earned plus points was "target" grips. There were a number of smaller, imported pistols that carried similar grips. Some, that were used military guns, came with the "target" grips installed and the original grips loose in the package.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Yes, at one time even Walther PPK pistols had 'target' grips, i.e. grips with a [somewhat theoretical] thumb rest. Then production was switched to the US, under S&W (to get around even tighter 'Saturday Night Special rules and/or to allow production and sale of even smaller models, like the PPKs), and apparently some buyers complained that the American-made PPK/PPKs pistols came without the 'original' grips... not realizing that the grips they thought were the 'originals' were, in fact, the 'US market only' target grips..!
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    I had occasion once to shoot a pistol that had grips like that. I don't recall what pistol, or where or when it took place. What I recall is that the groove on the left side grip panel was configured for shooters who use a parallel thumbs forward grip -- and I don't shoot with that grip. Consequently, the pistol was very uncomfortable for me to hold, and I shot it very poorly.
    Hawkmoon

Posts liked by others
    I'd wager it wasn't designed for a two-thumbs forward grip, or a thumb over thumb grip, or anything of the sort... grips like that were designed for one-handed shooting, because at the time that was the only type of target shooting there was..!
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyros View Post
    I'd wager it wasn't designed for a two-thumbs forward grip, or a thumb over thumb grip, or anything of the sort... grips like that were designed for one-handed shooting, because at the time that was the only type of target shooting there was..!

I knew that ... I was just testing you.
    Hawkmoon

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyros View Post
    Spyros,
    Yeah, that is the way I was taught in Boot Camp in '55. I don't know when the "Weaver Stance" came into popularity, but I only started using it
    about 1998. Up until that time, I was mostly shooting wheel guns, which as everybody knows, is not really conducive to a two handed grip.
    (Unless one is really careful)
    Blackie

Posts liked by others
    I had this and sold it:

It was an OK pistol, almost a 1911 (I have an RI in 9mm - agreat pistol) but it is not a locked breach it is a blow back.

I purchased this pistol - a Llama 'Especial' in .380:

and it is a 'true' 1911 which fires from a locked breach as shown:

The pistol is a 1967 (year proofed) and it is a great shooter and the felt recoil from the Llama is less than the Baby Rock.

I would recommend these older pistols over the Baby Rock and the "new" Llamas

Posts liked by others
    I still have a Llama Minimax 45ACP subcompact I bought new back when. It is in the back/bottom of some safe. Here it is field stripped. It actually has a Swartz type mechanical firing pin safety based off the grip safety.

NRA Life Member

Posts liked by others
    Afternoon everyone. I've been lurking here for awhile, also looking for comparison information.

I purchased a Mini Max Subcompact last year, It was used but not too used. It doesn't like hollow points but seems to be doing alright with ball ammo after I smoothed up the feed ramps.

Bought another one several months ago that was in real bad shape, mainly as a parts gun. I've been "tinkering" with it.

I recently bought a slightly used Para Warthog. Turns out the the alloy frame was cracked. Just received a new Warthog receiver from Sarco.

Since I found the crack in the frame, I've been comparing both receivers side by side. I haven't gotten out the mic yet and started measuring, but except for a few notable differences, they are very close

I've also been doing some side by side parts comparisons.

If you have a specific question, let me know.
    Last edited by Frenchkat; 7th August 2018 at 14:05. Reason: Auto save - additional comments

Posts liked by others
    A little off thread but back in the 70s I picked up a used little Llama .22. Cute little pistol...

I bought it because it comes apart like a 1911 although it is a straight blow back.

Not real accurate and one is lucky to get a hundred rounds through it before it starts to jam, but take it apart, clean it, and it is good to go again.
    NRA Life Member

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast