Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: RI Wilson Compensator

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

RI Wilson Compensator

I have a Rock Island Tactical (full-sized) 1911. After reading about recoil compensators, I decided to try one. In Brownells they have a Wilson Multi-Comp (Wilson P/N 397). Supposedly, this will "drop in with little work"!
    Wrong!!!
    I've been at it for 8 hours. I finally have the gun assembled with the compensator, but it's been serious work.
    The RI bushing has an OD of 0.697 and the Wilson has an OD of 0.702. That doesn't sound like much, but 5 thousandths is a lot to take off with jewlers files and sandpaper. After I got the compensator to fit in the slide I discovered that the lock tang extends too far out and freezes against the spring cap. More filing.
    As I said, it's now assembled, but I need to clean it up a bit more to be happy with it. It shouldn't take a crescent wrench to turn the compensator!!! Should I try to get the finish repaired?
    Once I shoot it I'll report on what effect it has.
    BTW, I added a Wilsons spring buffer as well. Yes, that is mounted in the "most over-built part of the frame", but I didn't
    get it for that. If I can ease the recoil on the web of my thumb, is that a bad idea?

Posts liked by others
    From Brownells description:

"Installation is as easy as fitting a new barrel bushing"

Brownells mainly deals in gunsmith tools, parts, and supplies. So installation for a gunsmith is as easy as fitting a barrel bushing. The fitting you found necessary is typical for oversize bushings.

If the compensator turns easily in the slide without the barrel, but binds with the barrel installed, then you also need to fit the inside diameter to the barrel. You may also need to add relief inside to allow lockup without "springing".

Springing occurs when an unrelieved bushing prevents to the barrel from swinging up into lockup freely. This is tested by installing the barrel and bushing (or compensator) in the slide, and seating the chamber end of the barrel into full lockup. It should drop in freely and solidly, and should not try to spring back out.

-
    Last edited by megafiddle; 16th September 2017 at 00:45.