Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Production fitted barrels

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by ncviking View Post
    When I fit a barrel, It goes something like this:
    Barrel foot (lower lugs) to frame is fitted first.
    Barrel bushing to slide and bushing to barrel is fitted second.
    Upper lugs to slide are fitted third. (this takes the most time)
    Most semi-drop in barrels come with a .278 link and seldom need to be changed.
    We all see things from a different point of view, but really the reverse makes a lot more sense.

Hood sides first, then hood end, upper lug engagement, top of barrel to inside of slide clearance off the frame, lower lug last. This being done with a loose bushing, so now the bushing.

CAW
    “If it ain't broke, don't fix it' is the slogan of the complacent, the arrogant or the scared. It's an excuse for inaction, a call to non-arms.” Colin Powell

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    Relating this to something Megafiddle wrote -- when fitting the upper lugs, do you file anything off the top of the barrel, or do you file the faces of the barrel notches to achieve equal and simultaneous engagement with the slide?
    Never have I needed to file anything off the top of the barrel.

Honestly, the slides are so consistent at the lug engagement notches, they (the slide engagement notches) never need more than just a polish.
    For what it's worth, an average mortal will never get full contact on all 3 lugs at lock up. The best that I've done is 2.
    Beauty is skin deep but ugly goes right to the bone.
    Last edited by ncviking; 16th September 2017 at 05:19.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by CAWalter View Post
    We all see things from a different point of view, but really the reverse makes a lot more sense.

Hood sides first, then hood end, upper lug engagement, top of barrel to inside of slide clearance off the frame, lower lug last. This being done with a loose bushing, so now the bushing.

CAW
    I forgot to add fitting the barrel hood to length and width.

Following Kuenhausen's instruction, I always start with the lower lug (foot) to frame first. This is not to be confused with the front of the lug, which is among the final steps of fitting a gunsmith fit barrel.
    I agree, upper engagement needs to be done with a loose fit bushing...I have one set aside for this purpose.
    Top of the barrel to inside of slide clearance (I find) is usually okay BUT interference is caused by the belly of the barrel hitting the bottom of the inside of the slide during link down.
    Beauty is skin deep but ugly goes right to the bone.

Posts liked by others
    Are many factory fitted barrels similar to the drop in barrels like the Kart Xact Fit barrel?

The Kart Xact Fit barrel has finished lower lugs and a standard link installed. Aside from the oversize barrel hood, only the upper lugs need fitting.

One difference though between the Kart and my Springfield barrel, is that the tops of the upper barrel lugs appear to be fitted on the Springfield, while the bottoms of the upper lug notches are fitted on the Kart. The bottoms of the lug notches themselves aren't fitted on the Kart, but rather two small pads sitting within the notches are used for fitting.

Is it just a matter of where the surplus material is placed (for removal during fitting)?

-
    Last edited by megafiddle; 17th September 2017 at 03:14.

Posts liked by others
    To reiterate: I've toured multiple 1911 factories. What I have seen is that production barrels are not "fitted" -- the assembler has a bin of parts in front of him, and he just picks from the bin until he gets a combination that works. In at least one factory, if the assembler tried five parts and didn't get an acceptable fit, the receiver was sent to the quality control department for checking. Production barrels are drop-in barrels.

The Kart Xact-Fit barrel is not a drop-in. It requires fitting.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (1) :
    ncviking (17th September 2017)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123