Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Longer barrel

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Longer barrel

Any one tried a Fire Dragon extended ported barrel on their 9mm Hi Power?

Posts liked by others
    No, I haven't. But the 9mm doesn't have an inordinate amount of recoil. What is the benefit that you are looking for?

Posts liked by others
    Little extra hitting power. Live in SE Alaska and my wrist don't handle the 44 well so I'm going to have to use my Hi Power as my big handgun. Small island and I use the hottest ammo to show up here and that CCI Blazzer brass 147gr tmj tc flat point

Posts liked by others
    Okay. You do have bigger 4 legged animals in Alaska than I do here in North Carolina--medium sized white tails and a rare black bear that might be 300 pounds where I live. I don't know how much muzzle velocity benefit you'll get from the extended barrel.
    If you want to stick with a Hi Power, can I suggest a 40 cal--180 grain bullets might be a little better than the 9mm. But as you know, that means buying another pistol.

Good luck.

Posts liked by others
    Been here ten years and have not seen one for sale. All mom and pop little stores and any ammo or powder has to come by barge but then again most of the stuff does.

Posts liked by others
    The reason a longer barrel generates higher velocity is that it provides more time for the combustion gases to push on the base of the bullet. A ported barrel doesn't do that -- as soon as the bullet passes the first port, the gasses are dissipated through the ports.

Save your money.

I would also suggest looking at ammo choices. 147-grain is generally not +P. You might find that 124-grain +P has more muzzle energy than the Blazer 147-grain.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 28th August 2017 at 06:08.

Posts liked by others
    The extra barrel is rifled and cuts close enough the bullet cover them both as it leave the barrel. All the 124's I have are fmj rn, the flat point tc cuts through straighter.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by seak89 View Post
    The extra barrel is rifled and cuts close enough the bullet cover them both as it leave the barrel.
    Not possible. As soon as the base of the bullet passes the first port, you start venting gas and losing pressure. You're going to spend $200+ dollars for the equivalent of a barrel that's maybe a quarter of an inch longer. I can't imagine the velocity (and muzzle energy) increase would be worth it.

Let's look at some numbers, from Ballistics by the Inch: http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/9luger.html

The Hi-Power has a 4.7-inch barrel. They go by whole inches, so let's call that 5 inches. There's a column of velocities for that, for a number of ammo choices. There's also a column for a 6-inch barrel. So that's the MAXIMUM increase you would get from a swap to a 1-inch longer barrel, without any porting. For the 124-grain Hydra-Shok, the 1-inch increase in barrel length generated 16 fps more velocity, an increase of just 1.43%. For the 147-grain Hydra-Shok, the increase was 23 fps, or 2.28%.

That's without porting/compensation. If you've ever seen a photo of a ported barrel as it's being fired, you can plainly see that there's a huge plume of fire coming out the ports. That's energy -- and if it's coming out the ports, it's not pushing on the bullet. So how much of the velocity increase from the longer barrel do you lose by porting? Dunno. Maybe half? To me, an increase of 1.43% to 2.28% isn't worth over $200. Now cut those numbers in half -- figure your velocity increase will be 3/4 of a percent to a hair over one percent.

Do you think any critter is going to notice the difference?
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 28th August 2017 at 18:10.

Posts liked by others
    Just wondering if anyone had tried one realy. The nose of the bullet is leaving the barrel as the base passes the first cut. I may just try to order some bullets and a lee loader I can get in mail and load some hot loads like buffalo bores outdoorsman 9mm load. At 70 and bad hand tremors I may can still load a few of these. Had to quite gunsmithing awhile back do to tremors but can still shoot the heck out of my Hi Power not so much the 44's. The 44 I know I will get one good killing shot but last year I have three bears at twenty feet full charge and my NAA 22mag turned them one shot right over moms head,God had a big helping hand in there also.