Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Mk1 production

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Mk1 production

I was wondering what years the MK1 were made? Also, were the slides forged?
    And lastly, were guns made in 83 forged?

Posts liked by others
    The Mark II pistols were released in 1982 with the initial pistols having forged frames ( all slides have been forged not cast) and because of their greater strength for .40 chambering all frames soon were being cast. The cast frame usually will have serrations on the bottom of the frame around the mag well ( some do not) inside the well opening toeard the top, right hand side will be casting marks..mine look a bit like Hebrew letters.
    I have a couple of Mk I's that were made in the late eighties with forged frames and Mk II's in the eighties and nineties that are: one 1986 forged and two 1992 with cast frames. Also i have a Browning Captain ( no FN markings at all, only Browning) made in early 2000's which is about 25 years after FN stopped producing tangent slides.
    The reason I included all this info was to show FN production does not have strict guidelines and variation is somewhat normal.
    Last edited by Ibmikey; 11th September 2017 at 00:22.

Posts liked by others
    Thank you for your reply. I am looking for a forged beater gun for my project.

Posts liked by others
    I got my peoject gun this weekend at the Wannamaker show in Tulsa. Its a Mk I. I have no clue of when it was made.
    I got it for $525. Not sure it was a good deal. Its kinda rough.

Posts liked by others
    Congrats on your find. Hope you post some pictures.

Posts liked by others
    The serial number is a 4 digit number. It looks like a capitol A in front of the serial number. The "A" looks like an inverted capitol V because there is no cross bar like a capitol A would have. Anyone have any ideas about this?