Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Early Giles Gun

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Early Giles Gun

Hey Guys and Gals, I purchased this 1911 last year from a woman in Arizona by way of Florida. She stated her grandfather was a member of the local Navy shooting team. Out of curiosity I sent off for the Colt letter and was not surprised by the answer received.

My question is: On the letter the caliber is shown as a .45/c and not a .45ACP is this an error on Colt's part? should I be concerned and call Colt?

Thanks
    Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images

Posts liked by others
    I have seen several Colt 1911 letters that list the caliber as .45/c. One would think the letter would state .45 Automatic or .45ACP. Google "Colt 1911 letters" and you'll see several examples of this. You could call Colt and ask for an explanation.
    "Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you." --Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

Posts liked by others
    How about a few pictures of the gun?

Posts liked by others

PIctures

Here they are

I will add, it still shoots great.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Posts liked by others
    Neat. I think Mr Giles was the only 'smith to have his own sights. Everybody else was installing Bomar, Aristocrat, Micro, or S&W sights.

Early days of IPSC in this area, a shooter sent his bullseye gun back to Mr Giles to have the rib removed and replaced with regular Giles sights for shooting hardball.

Posts liked by others
    Very nice. Thanks for taking the time for posting these pictures.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill_in Bouse View Post
    Here they are

I will add, it still shoots great.
    You have a wonderful treasure there. John Giles was one of the great old time pistolsmiths along with Jim Clark, Bob Chow and Austin Behlert. He did make his own sights. Now you just need to look out for a High Standard .22 target pistol that he customized and you will be ready to go.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks Guys for the kind words. I'll further add I now know the original owner of the Giles .45. A Navy Captain ordered the pistol on 11/5/56 and it was delivered to him on
    10/4/57 for a total cost of $157.35 That total includes the cost of the gun and all modifications LOL