Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from Brownells, Cabela's, TandemKros or Tekmat, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Also, don't forget to visit our other sponsors sites, click-throughs are appreciated by our advertisers. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Intro

Posts liked by others
    There appears to be markings that look like perhaps "H 4" stamped into the top of the receiver near the back. Is that what you're referring to?

Posts liked by others
    Welcome to the forum! That is an old beauty. Even nicer that you know the provenance and it was your dad's. Have you been to Ft Wood lately, seeing how you are an Engineer?
    Like someone's grandpa used to say "I can sit here quietly and let everyone think I'm stupid, or I can say something and confirm it for them."

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for the welcome. The last time I was at Ft. Leonard Wood was in early 2000. And it's a rather funny story.

Although I am an engineer by degree and profession, I didn't become a member of the Corps of Engineers until VERY late in my career, and in a way that ONLY a Reservist and not an Active Duty soldier could.

In the USAR it's not unusual to get qualified and change Branches in order to accept assignments "locally" unless you want to make increasingly longer commutes to find appropriate grade and Branch positions on your own dime. It's VERY unusual for Active Duty Officers to make a basic Branch change once they get promoted to Major.

After being promoted to full Colonel, there were no open positions in my previous Branch, but there was a local one in the Engineer Branch, which the unit was having an impossible time filling.

Because of my degree and experience I felt comfortable enough to actually transfer, and found out that to "qualify" I had to take the "Advanced Course", which is designed for Captains, officers generally with 20 years less seniority. So off to Ft. Leonard Wood I went.

It was a VERY interesting experience to say the least! The first day of class was especially funny because I could hear all the Captains in the back of the room whispering until one of them finally came up and asked me if I was sure I was in the right place!!! They were convinced the "Colonel" was lost!!!

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel_EN View Post
    It was a VERY interesting experience to say the least! The first day of class was especially funny because I could hear all the Captains in the back of the room whispering until one of them finally came up and asked me if I was sure I was in the right place!!! They were convinced the "Colonel" was lost!!!
    That is hilarious! Thanks for sharing. I'm a retired MP 1SG and work for the MP School. Very familiar with the USAR branch transfer issues. Not unusual to find reservists, especially enlisted, with 4 or more MOS'. I was AD for my entire career but have worked extensively with USAR and NG whom in many cases do not get the credit they deserve.

Thanks for yours and all the other unsung heroes service!
    Like someone's grandpa used to say "I can sit here quietly and let everyone think I'm stupid, or I can say something and confirm it for them."

Posts liked by others
    Since you can appreciate it, I can tell you more of the story!

My previous Branch in which I was promoted to Colonel, was MP! And I had branch transferred to MP from Field Artillery as a Lieutenant Colonel in order to be able to command one of the local MP Battalions.

As you may remember, back in 2000, we wore the old BDU uniform and officers wore their Branch insignia on the left collar. So of course there I was, an "MP Colonel", in the SAME building where the Engineers and the MPs (and the Chemical Corps) had their school house, so you can understand why the Engineer CPTs could think I was lost!

What was even more funny was when I was taking the 26 correspondence courses at home before I showed up at Leonard Wood for the two weeks Active Duty Phase. I discovered that the "grading key" for the multiple choice quizzes in quite a few of the sub courses contained errors, which would result in selecting the correct letter for the right answer to a problem to be graded as incorrect.

NATURALLY as an engineer I HAD to know what I'd done wrong, and when I reworked the problem several times and realized that I HAD gotten the correct answer, DESPITE what the computer grading said, I figured I had to call the school house to "do something".

I finally got in touch with the proper civilian who had the grading keys and after he got over laughing about the fact that a RESERVE MILITARY POLICE officer was questioning the grading, and realized that as a professional engineer I knew what I was doing, allowed me to consult with him after each course was completed to ensure that no correct answers were marked as wrong. I thought his comment "That explains why nobody has ever gotten higher than a 76% on the drainage sub course" was a riot.

Needless to say, by the time I actually showed up on post, everybody on the staff at the Engineer School knew who I was.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12