Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Special Forces or Alpha Elite

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Special Forces or Alpha Elite

It's been quite a while since I've posted here, but I've again been bitten by the 1911 bug after shooting and carrying Sigs and HK's almost exclusively for the past year or so. I'm wanting a full size custom 1911 and the two that have caught my eye this time are the Special Forces and the Alpha Elite from Ed Brown. Their standard factory configuration is exactly what I want aside from the grips (I prefer wood to G10)...it's everything that a fighting 1911 needs to be and nothing else. The issue I have is trying to discern any substantial difference between the two. Does anyone here have experience with both that they can chime in with?

Thanks

Posts liked by others
    Don't have one. The only difference I see in catalog cuts is that they have different grip roughening styles and the Special Forces is painted different colors.

Posts liked by others
    Don't own either one. Have you contacted Ed Brown Products to see what they say about them?
    Like someone's grandpa used to say "I can sit here quietly and let everyone think I'm stupid, or I can say something and confirm it for them."

Posts liked by others
    I've had a stainless Ed Brown Kobra Carry for several years (it's in my avatar) and had a black over gray Special Forces model "built" in the same format with the bob-tailed grip. Both are excellent pistols. The finish on the Special Forces is soft, though, and will scratch easily but is stainless underneath. Thin grips on both pistols. Easy to carry with right ISWB holster.

-- Chuck
    Last edited by Chuck S; 2nd September 2017 at 15:52.

Posts liked by others
    All Ed Brown's are essentially the same gun, just with different options.

Special Forces http://www.edbrown.com/special-forces/

Alpha Elite http://www.edbrown.com/alpha-elite/

The Special Forces has the new Gen III chain-link front/backstrap treatment, while the Alpha Elite comes with the first generation of chain-link.

I'm pretty sure you can option any gun out the way you want, but some may give you what you want at a starting point.
    Likes (1) :
    IANative (2nd November 2017)

Posts liked by others
    When I bought the Kobra Carry many years ago there were no "options."

Now you can specify any number of options including a proper "short" trigger, etc.

For years I swore I needed the M1911A1 arched grip. Since getting the bob-tailed Kobra Carry I've not needed it and have come to prefer the bobtail as it prints less under a shirt or suit coat. I also swore ambidextrous frame safeties were unnecessary until I took a long weekend course from Scott Reitz and he had us shooting weak handed, one handed, and one-eyed (taped over our glasses).

As a part time trainer of soldiers and cadets I've maintained a Beretta M9 and now the new SIG. I'm still a M1911 guy though.

-- Chuck