Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reloading for 45ACP with small primer brass

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    I have found no difference in reloading or performance or chrono numbers between LP and SP. Just make sure you keep them separate for ease of proper primer insertion...

Posts liked by others
    I didn't like the idea of small pistol primers either, but that changed when I remembered all those 400 Corbon loads, form and trim....fun low pressure caliber to shoot light and fast.
    NRA Life Member since '67

"Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake."
    Napoleon

Posts liked by others
    I use the same amount of Australian Clays - as with large primer brass - use Tula small rifle magnum primers with a 200gr LSWC bullet and they chrono almost identical to the same load in LP brass. For me it makes it more simple as I can use the same primer in 9mm, .45ACP and .223/5.56.

Posts liked by others
    i sort them and then load in small primer batches and large primer batches. No difference other than primer feed.

Posts liked by others
    I can't tell any difference in the two. I have heard that for equal performance you need to use magnum primers with the SPP primers, so I tried it with 6.0/Unique and a 200 grain SWC bullet. Couldn't tell much difference there, either, but I did notice ever so slight flatteneing of the primers with the magnums.

I bought these cases before the election, just in case components became scarce again, and keep them separate from my LPP brass.

Posts liked by others
    I use 4.5gr of TiteGroup with 250gr ball ammo bullet. No difference in the small pistol primer. I'd never buy the factory ammo but I have a bag of SPP brass I've picked up off the floor at the range. I just separate them from the LPP brass.

Posts liked by others
    I very carefully sort the large primed brass cases from the small primed brass cases. Then, I run the large primed brass through a tumbler with walnut shell grounds to clean them. I then run them through the corn cob for a final polish. Works great on yellow brass and fantastic on nickel cases. Has been working great for about 40 years. Oh yeah, the small primed cases.... I throw them all away! Broke a depriming pin several years ago and it REALLY upset me!
    Last edited by chuckfw; 31st December 2017 at 10:26.

Posts liked by others
    If you are having trouble priming the small pistol primed brass, I wonder if your small pistol primed brass has a primer crimp?

Posts liked by others
    The re-introduction of small primer .45 ACP drives me up the wall. 90% of all the brass I reload (and that is a lot) I pick up down the road at the Forest Service designated shooting area. I really hate sorting the little buggers from the big ones. Once I get enough of them I prime them and reload along with the large primer cases. My chrono shows no difference between large or small primer.

From my reading it seems the original .45 ACP came with small primers and that after having many clicks instead of bangs when the trigger was pulled the switch to large primer came. It is my understanding that the slop involved in the military M1911 the firing pin would actually miss the small primer, hence the large primer we know and love. Of course this information came via the internet so you be the judge. In many of the cases I pick up at the range I am amazed they fired at all as many pistols seem to almost miss the large primers. I have picked up many a round, unfired and they all seem to be small primers.

Gary
    Pine, CO

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckfw View Post
    I very carefully sort the large primed brass cases from the small primed brass cases. Then, I run the large primed brass through a tumbler with walnut shell grounds to clean them. I then run them through the corn cob for a final polish. Works great on yellow brass and fantastic on nickel cases. Has been working great for about 40 years. Oh yeah, the small primed cases.... I throw them all away! Broke a depriming pin several years ago and it REALLY upset me!

I will take any you find like that, seriously. I’ll pay postage, amd thanks in advance.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast