Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Small vs Large primers

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Small vs Large primers

I just picked up some Federal brass at the range and was surprised to find they took small pistol primers. This is the first I've seen them.
    Is therre any feel for a differencebetween the large and small primers?
    I only found about 3 of them and at this point I tossed them. Just for concistancy.

Posts liked by others
    Federal and Winchester both use small pistol primers in their "non-toxic" lines of ammo. I used to discard them when I encountered them, but I think they'll become more prevalent so, recently, I've been saving them and setting them aside for possible future use.

IIRC, Blazer Brass also uses small pistol primers in their .45 Auto ammo.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Ditto! I am seeing increasing numbers of the Small Primer brass in the "once-fired" range brass. Saved brass is not "wisht-I-saved_it" brass!!

Posts liked by others
    I've used them for lost brass matches, but a friend wants them for his revolver, now he gets them.
    MFWIC
    DILLIGAF
    Stercus Accidit
    WTFDTSG

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by BHP9 View Post
    I've used them for lost brass matches, ...
    I think that's an excellent disposition. I prefer to use Winchester brass but, for when I'll be shooting where I can't recover my brass (such as at matches), I use mixed headstamp brass of just about anything that's not Winchester.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    400 Corbon uses small primers and I have a drop in 400 Corbon barrel (if there is such a thing) for 1911 45auto. I load the 400 using Starline brass, but it doesn't take much to form the 400 from 45auto brass, neck down and trim. Sierra 5 has hard copy data for loading the 400 Corbon, pretty fast MVs with 135gr-165gr....matches up well with the 10mm.
    NRA Life Member since '67

"Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake."
    Napoleon

Posts liked by others
    That is all I use for .45ACP - Federal small primer. Makes it easy to load 9mm, .45 and .223/5.56 with same primer. I use Tula SRP Magnum primers (until I run out of them).

Posts liked by others
    Luckily I haven't seen any yet, though a few of my friends have run up on them. I've got several thousand rounds of large primer brass so I'd prefer not to have any small primer stuff mixing in with them. That said, if I did start running up on them I'd save them and set them aside for possible future use, brass ain't cheap after all and I do load for some small primer stuff.
    Likes (1) :
    horse 91-A1 (15th August 2017)