Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

View Poll Results: Choose a full size 1911 9mm

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Springfield Range Officer

12 80.00%
  • Rock Island Rock series

2 13.33%
  • It's a shame you're not clever enough to make funny choices for the first two.

1 6.67%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Springfield Range Officer vs Rock Island Armory Rock Series

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    It's a shame that the gun didn't work like it should out of the box but had to be sent back for a "do over" right away. If you are spending $1000 on a gun it should be pretty good right out of the box.
    Likes (1) :
    skydaver (22nd September 2017)

Posts liked by others
    A friend won a SA RO Compact at the IDPA Masters drawing. He paid the handling FFL to adjust the trigger and install a fibre optic front sight.
    I expect a range report on it tomorrow or the next day after he has had a chance to shoot it. With his wife along!

Posts liked by others
    Well, the pistol came back Monday, and we got to the range yesterday. It worked flawlessly with the new magazines that came with the gun, so that's a relief. I think my wife would have beaten someone with it had it failed :-)
    Springfield recut & polished the feed ramp (looks like a mirror), tuned the extractor (they didn't say why, and as a career software developer, it doesn't make any sense why that would matter), and the adjusted the sear spring to put less pressure on the disconnector (there was a VERY perceptible hiccup as the slide rode over the disconnector, and it would almost hold on it if you very slowed moved the slide there)

When we bought it, the LGS scrounged up two Springfield magazines and added them into the purchase. Luckily, for ID purposes, they have the base pad on them, as those magazines did have failure to feed problems.

I'm thinking new magazine springs might be in order for those two.

So, I think this wraps it up.
    Springfield quality control ... not impressed. No reason this should have happened.

Customer service, not impressed.
    1. With a report of a new gun that repeatedly jams, they send a two day, not one day, shipping label
    2. When I contact SA for status, I get told that it will be at least 10 business days before CS even gets any status.
    3. I messaged them on FB, complained, described how well Sig did when we had a problem.
    4. The FB Customer service folks apparently pushed it to the top of the line, (maybe), the pistol gets worked on.
    5. Pistol get sent back, again 2-day, not one day. Two day was really four or five, since it sat around all day Wednesday after it was fixed, and was shipped Thursday afternoon.

So, with reservations, I recommend that people interested in a pistol with these features go ahead and look at it. Just know that there is an unknown, non-zero change it will have to have warranty work done immediately.

The good news is that SWMBO shot three boxes through it yesterday, and decided that she was indeed ready for the defensive pistol class next month. While we were waiting for the repair to get back, she was ready to quit shooting, period, due to the loss of fun factor.

Thanks for following our saga.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by skydaver View Post
    The good news is that SWMBO shot three boxes through it yesterday, and decided that she was indeed ready for the defensive pistol class next month. While we were waiting for the repair to get back, she was ready to quit shooting, period, due to the loss of fun factor.
    As distressing as the loss of the fun factor is (when the gun is misbehaving), it comes back really quickly after a couple of sessions when everything is fine. Especially when, after the second session, you realize on the drive home that you didn't even think about the possibility of the gun quitting...
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    I'm glad there was a successful resolution to the problem. It would be difficult to keep up interest in the gun with all that drama.
    And I agree with Spyros that a good session with no problems can help you focus on the joy of shooting.
    Good luck going forward and I am sure she will do well in her defensive pistol class.

Posts liked by others
    Indeed, in yesterday's range session, there were no issues at all, except for a failure to slidelock on one empty magazine. She's bought a holster, and had a lesson with drawing & firing, drawing & firing one handed, drawing & firing from a kneeling position. Yesterday, she did all that on her own, calling me over to her lane only on that slide lock failure, thinking it had been a failure to go into battery.

The class is on the 19th, and I think she's getting enthusiastic about it.

Posts liked by others
    Glad to hear that SA got the pistol working properly. I guess I've been fortunate but none of my SA or other pistols have been a problem after breaking in. My RO Compact took about 75-80 rounds to begin functioning with reliability and has run well since.

Posts liked by others
    I have bought 4 SA Elites pistols over the last couple months, one 45 and 3 9mm, and haven't had any problems with any of them. Great pistols for the money.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234