Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

View Poll Results: Choose a full size 1911 9mm

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Springfield Range Officer

12 80.00%
  • Rock Island Rock series

2 13.33%
  • It's a shame you're not clever enough to make funny choices for the first two.

1 6.67%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Springfield Range Officer vs Rock Island Armory Rock Series

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    I like the SAs more but of course they cost more. Have more than one of each brand. One interesting thing about recent SAs like this 2015 RO in 9mm is not only is the fit and finish nice but the last three digits of the serial number is hand engraved on the bottom of the slide. Sort of makes one think that there might be some fitting between the frame and slide. The other, stamped number, is what I think is a control number for whoever does the forgings for SA but not sure about that. There is another stamped number under the left grip panel on the frame which is different than this one and does not relate to the serial number either.

NRA Life Member
    Likes (1) :
    megafiddle (11th September 2017)

Posts liked by others
    I wonder about the wisdom of engraving (or stamping) anything in the location. That's the surface the disconnector rides against as the slide retracts and returns. Personally, I want that surface to be just as flat and as smooth as it can possibly be made. To me, engraving or stamping anything there is almost like machining file teeth into it.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (2) :
    carsten1911 (11th September 2017), megafiddle (11th September 2017)

Posts liked by others
    I have wondered that also. I have had several Kimbers that have the same thing. The oldest is a pre Series II from 2001. The S&W perf center uses the impact stamps that take me back to metal shop in prep school. I think they do it one number at a time. This from a 2014 1911PC with the round but.

They also use a vibrator engraver to put the last three digits of the serial number on the bottom of the barrel.

I have a 97 Baer Premier II that has the entire serial number stamped there. It looks as nice as what they stamp on the frame. Baer also vibrate engraves the last three numbers of the serial number on the bottom of the barrel. Sorry. No pictures here and not sure if Baer still does that or not.
    NRA Life Member

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by dakota1911 View Post
    I like the SAs more but of course they cost more. Have more than one of each brand. One interesting thing about recent SAs like this 2015 RO in 9mm is not only is the fit and finish nice but the last three digits of the serial number is hand engraved on the bottom of the slide. Sort of makes one think that there might be some fitting between the frame and slide.

Most all reports of those three engraved digits note that they are the last three digits of the serial number. So presumably, the number is there to insure that the slide remains with the frame it was mated to. However, I have seen a couple reports of the 3 digit number differing from the serial number. Kind of odd.

-

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    I wonder about the wisdom of engraving (or stamping) anything in the location. That's the surface the disconnector rides against as the slide retracts and returns. Personally, I want that surface to be just as flat and as smooth as it can possibly be made. To me, engraving or stamping anything there is almost like machining file teeth into it.
    Indeed, right on the disconnector rail.

And one of my two complaints about the Springfields. My MilSpec has those engraved digits, and there is noticeable roughness when that area rides over the disconnector. I am going to stone that area smooth before I fire it.

I have not seen any reports so far of those engravings causing any problems with cycling or disconnector wear. But it's a disappointing practice nonetheless.

My second complaint is the unfinished slide stop pin. The Springfield part has ridges running along the length of the pin on its front and rear surfaces. These are apparently from the mold parting line when the part was cast or molded (not sure which).

The bottom front of the lower barrel lugs have a groove stamped into them where this ridge on the slide stop pin impacted them. I am also replacing the slide stop with a machined part before firing.

-

Posts liked by others
    Well, she ordered the RO, and we picked it up last week. Out to the range, one shot, jam. Many jams. Went out to the counter, they brought in a box of Federal Estate 115gr. (we'd been shooting Sellior & Bellot 115gr), and that had jams.

Left it with the shop, with a box of our S&B. One of the employees shot the box of S&B with no issues, and the gunsmith fired a box with no problems.

We started shooting, and jam, jam, jam. The manager came in, and it jammed on him. These were not stovepipes, they were a new round stuck at the bottom of the ramp into the chamber.

It jammed on me, my wife, the store manager.

The pistol is back at Springfield, and we're waiting on a status (they got it on Thursday, but no status yet)

I'm ... irritated with the QC at Springfield, and more irritated with their customer service. Sig turned around a problem in 4 days, door to door.

How does SA let a $1000 pistol that won't function properly out the door?

This has destroyed my wife's confidence, even though she was putting every shot through one ragged hole. I'm hopeful that her instructor (who has been absolutely wonderful in helping her progress from a new shooter, to someone that has fired about 3000 round in six months, and is learning to shoot one handed, and weak handed) will get her back on track.

Posts liked by others
    Just got a message from SA this morning. They recut & polished the feed ramp, tuned extractor and adjusted the sear spring for less tension on the disconnector. It should be on it's way back tomorrow, overnight, I hope.

I don't remember if I mentioned that there was a very distinct catch as the slide went over the disconnector. Not really sure that explains the jam, but we'll see how it operates when it gets here. It will of course be signature required, so I hope they do send it overnight, so we can get it on Friday.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by skydaver View Post
    Just got a message from SA this morning. They recut & polished the feed ramp, tuned extractor and adjusted the sear spring for less tension on the disconnector. It should be on it's way back tomorrow, overnight, I hope.

I don't remember if I mentioned that there was a very distinct catch as the slide went over the disconnector. Not really sure that explains the jam, but we'll see how it operates when it gets here. It will of course be signature required, so I hope they do send it overnight, so we can get it on Friday.
    I had most of that stuff done locally instead of enriching FedUPS.
    The integral ramp allowed for a lot of case support, but it was too steep for reliable feeding; recontoured, not just "polished."
    The extractor would not hold tension, you may end up replacing it with a name brand like EGW or Wilson as I did.
    The tip of the sear spring was rough and sharp, holding the disconnector up hard and causing the bump. A Colt spring and polishing the gouges out of the disconnector bevel fixed that part.

Posts liked by others
    All good info, but I don't have the tools, experience, or confidence to do any of that, esp. on her new pistol. SA is paying shipping, so that part doesn't bother me.

Again, IMO, this pistol should have worked correctly when it left the factory.

Posts liked by others
    Me, either. I am fortunate to have a local gunsmith who knows the 1911.
    Not expensive and a lot faster than typical warranty clerk service.

I agree, they should just work without "tuning" or "break in." but cutting cost on an artisanal product like a 1911 means you are running the risk of an imperfect gun. Builders who think they are smarter than John Browning don't help, either.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast