Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

View Poll Results: Choose a full size 1911 9mm

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Springfield Range Officer

12 80.00%
  • Rock Island Rock series

2 13.33%
  • It's a shame you're not clever enough to make funny choices for the first two.

1 6.67%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Springfield Range Officer vs Rock Island Armory Rock Series

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Yeah, I think I'm going to have to buy a dedicated desk lamp I can move to whereever I'm cleaning so I can see what I'm doing more easily. Maybe one of those illuminated magnifying goosenecks :-)

I really miss the eyes I had 40 years ago!

Posts liked by others
    We visited the other LGS, and the staff guy brought in his 10mm RIA Ultra. SWMBO did not like the grips, and was not overly fond of the ambi-safety, finding that it impinged a bit on her hand.

They had in the counter the (get ready for this TCM Rock Standard FS HC Combo - 22TCM/9MM, and she very much liked that grip, and the standard safety and the very large magazine capacity. The problem with that is that she does want the fiber optic front, and that model does not, so by the time we source & install (I'm not doing it!) a new front sight, it would be within $100 of the Springfield.

I don't know what she'll choose, but she'll choose it ... not me. I've made that mistake, before, more than once.

Posts liked by others
    There are other models that don't have the fiber optic front sight.

Quote Originally Posted by skydaver View Post

I don't know what she'll choose, but she'll choose it ... not me. I've made that mistake, before, more than once.
    Wise man.

Posts liked by others
    Oh, we've looked through the catalog for RIA, believe me! She WANTS the fiber optic front sight. This will be a practice pistol, one she can shoot a LOT with less fatigue. The P938, which she does like, and will be able to conceal once the permit comes through, is a bit snappy for an extended range session.

Something about nearly 4lbs vs 1lb makes recoil a tiny bit more manageable.

Also .. this is for someone who went from not shooting for 25 years (and very little, then) to taking lessons, taking a concealed carry class, trying out many pistols to find one she liked for concealed carry, putting two cases (at least) through that, shooting a 1911 Gold Cup .45, and wanting to buy another pistol

I am NOT going to do anything to stop that mindset :-)
    Likes (2) :
    cf45 (4th August 2017), Rick McC. (18th August 2017)

Posts liked by others
    I agree. You should do all you can to encourage the mindset. My wife has been looking at the P938 and I show her one every chance I get.
    Of course that opens up another can of worms. Whenever I see a gun I like she shows me one she likes.
    Could be worse problems to have I guess.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by cf45 View Post
    I agree. You should do all you can to encourage the mindset. My wife has been looking at the P938 and I show her one every chance I get.
    Of course that opens up another can of worms. Whenever I see a gun I like she shows me one she likes.
    Could be worse problems to have I guess.
    We probably got the P938 the wrong way, but it worked out.

Getting back into shooting, she could not rack the slide on any of the striker fired pistols in the rental counter or the sales counter. She couldn't pull the trigger on a double action revolver.

She could easily rack the slide on the Sig P238, and tried that out first, and shot decently with it. After a couple of range sessions, she decided to try the 938, and (probably because she was doing this at the end of the range session) did well, although not as well as with the 238. The ammo cost of 9mm vs .380, and the extra power of the 9mm were her deciding factors. She didn't want anything bigger, because this will be her concealed carry weapon.

Then, in a one on one lesson, the instructor brought out the Range Officer in 9mm (the fiend!). She was able to manipulate the slide, and shoot very well with it (no surprise, really, with nearly double the sight radius) and loved the recoil (or near lack thereof). She has tried to rack the slide on other large frame 9mms, but just can't do it without really having to think about it, and making sure she maximizes all her leverage. The 1911 just plain works for her, with no fuss.

She still likes the 938 very much, and will put at least one box, usually two, through it in a practice session. I suspect she'll shoot that at every range session, just not as much as the new full sized 9mm, whatever she decides on.

If you get a chance to shoot the 938, go for it. I'd recommend the extended magazine, for the extra grip area. We went with the Extreme model (they only have about 42 different models :-) ) because she liked the G-10 grips. The Sig G-10 grips on the 938 aren't as rough as the RIA G-10 grips.

Posts liked by others
    I want her to shoot the 938 before spending the bucks on it to make sure it is what she wants.
    It's funny what will work for them and what won't. She has an LCP that gives her trouble when she racks the slide. But in fairness, it isn't the easiest one for anybody to manipulate.
    I have an old Ruger P-90 that she loves to shoot and has no trouble with.
    Push come to shove I guess if she can't make up her mind you should buy both.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by cf45 View Post
    I want her to shoot the 938 before spending the bucks on it to make sure it is what she wants.
    It's funny what will work for them and what won't. She has an LCP that gives her trouble when she racks the slide. But in fairness, it isn't the easiest one for anybody to manipulate.
    I have an old Ruger P-90 that she loves to shoot and has no trouble with.
    Push come to shove I guess if she can't make up her mind you should buy both.
    Vehement concurrence that she should shoot one first!

For my SWMBO, I think the RIA is out. She doesn't want to mess with the replacement of the front sight on the TCM22/9mm, and won't listen when I mention that you can get grips to replace the Hogue G-10s on the Ultra Carry. I may still work on that, though.

(Edited to add) Of course, it would help to remember she didn't like the extended ambi-safety on the RIA.
    Must remember, she buys what SHE wants!
    Last edited by skydaver; 5th August 2017 at 13:08. Reason: adding lines that are important.

Posts liked by others
    Well, I don't think she will go wrong with the Springfield.

Definitely she will shoot it first. She has shot a p238 and liked the feel of that one but there is a difference between 380 and 9mm.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by skydaver View Post
    For my SWMBO, I think the RIA is out. She doesn't want to mess with the replacement of the front sight on the TCM22/9mm, and won't listen when I mention that you can get grips to replace the Hogue G-10s on the Ultra Carry. I may still work on that, though.
    If she doesn't like/want the RIA ... don't try to talk her into buying the RIA. The WORST thing that could come out of that is that you succeed, and then she doesn't like the gun. And forever after, it will be YOUR fault, because you talked her into it.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (3) :
    Rick McC. (18th August 2017), skydaver (6th August 2017), Spyros (6th August 2017)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast