Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

View Poll Results: Choose a full size 1911 9mm

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Springfield Range Officer

12 80.00%
  • Rock Island Rock series

2 13.33%
  • It's a shame you're not clever enough to make funny choices for the first two.

1 6.67%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Springfield Range Officer vs Rock Island Armory Rock Series

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Springfield Range Officer vs Rock Island Armory Rock Series

My wife wants a 1911 full size frame 9mm, with a nice fiber optic front sight, and, unless the price difference is significant, adjustable rear sights. This will be a range gun, for practicing, classes, & plinking. She has a Sig P938 (basically a baby 1911) for carry, and is good with that, but it gives a bit of a pounding over a long range session.

The LGS has a Springfield RO in 9mm that has all these, and they're offering a new one at what appears to be a very competitive price for that pistol.

I see that Rock Island Rock series is available in 9mm, with the same features, at about $300 less MSRP (haven't been able to dig out street price, for this specific model, yet.)

The owner and gunsmiths at the LGS don't care for the Rock Island, stating that the Springfield will made to tighter tolerances, and be more accurate. We like & trust the LGS, and I suspect that their margins aren't driving their opinion on the two pistols.

So, we're dithering. We're confident that she'd be satisfied with the Springfield, but are always looking to save some dollars. Would she be able to tell the difference between the two when new? 1,000 rounds later? 5,000 rounds?

There's my sordid story. Have at it. What are your opinions?

Posts liked by others
    First off, a 938 is not "basically a baby 1911." It is basically a slightly expanded Colt Mustang 380.

With that out of the way ... the Springfield Range Officer is a good pistol. So is the Rock Island Ultra-FS 9mm. Both have fiber optic front sights and adjustable rear sights. Both companies sell a lot of pistols and have overwhelmingly positive feedback. Of the two, Armscor has the better customer service, but for both companies the odds are you won't need it.

Would your wife be able to tell the difference between the Springfield and the Rock Island when shooting? Unless your wife is a world class bullseye shooter, either pistol will be more accurate than she is, so the answer is, "Probably not."
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    WRT the 938, that discussion probably belongs elsewhere. I did know it was based on the Mustang 380, but considered that in the 1911 family; at least a cousin :-)

Thank you for the comments. I'm going to ask LGS what they can do on price with the RIA Rock Model; I think, based on a little research, including the price they offered on the Springfield, that they will do as well or better than I could ordering it from another gun shop.

I doubt either of us would qualify for the lowest rating as a bullseye shooter, so your comments make me think that the decision may boil down to whether she wants to pay the extra money for stainless steel on the Springfield.
    Last edited by skydaver; 30th July 2017 at 19:29.

Posts liked by others
    (and I was trying to be funny, not argumentative, about the P938. She chose that very carefully, and likes the SAO trigger, the external hammer & safety. She also likes shooting my 30 year old Gold Cup, and the LGS rental SA Range Officer in 9mm, since the controls are so similar.)

Posts liked by others
    Not sure this will be helpful since I don't have a Springfield but I do own a Rock Island and I think it is one of the best values out there for a 1911. There are a lot of choices on the configuration of the gun and I am not sure you would be able to tell the difference in fit. Mine has had a few hiccups but nothing more than plagues all 1911 from anywhere. Mostly it just shoots.
    Likes (1) :
    skydaver (31st July 2017)

Posts liked by others
    The LGS has a very good price on the Rock Island "Rock Ultra FS 9mm" (the model name). Enough price difference for about 1 1/2 cases of 9mm ammo.
    A staff member at another LGS personally owns this model in 10mm, and is willing to bring it in so the wife can feel the grips, look at the sights, etc., before she makes the final decision.
    The price difference is significant enough I'm willing to put up with the slightly more difficult cleaning.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by skydaver View Post
    The price difference is significant enough I'm willing to put up with the slightly more difficult cleaning.
    ???

What slightly more difficult cleaning? What am I missing?
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    ???

What slightly more difficult cleaning? What am I missing?
    With my old eyeballs it is easier to see dirt on stainless steel than on a dark surface. Nothing more than that.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by skydaver View Post
    The LGS has a very good price on the Rock Island "Rock Ultra FS 9mm" (the model name). Enough price difference for about 1 1/2 cases of 9mm ammo.
    A staff member at another LGS personally owns this model in 10mm, and is willing to bring it in so the wife can feel the grips, look at the sights, etc., before she makes the final decision.
    I think that is a good one to settle on. I really don't think you will be disappointed. I too was curious about "slightly more difficult cleaning" remark. I have to have more light to clean by than I used too so I can relate.

Posts liked by others
    Wouldn't second-guess anyone picking either one of these. I like stainless guns, but for the price difference, I think I'd pick the RIA.

The dirt that you can't see on it definitely won't bother it, until it's built up well past the point when you CAN see it!
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast