Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mag Primer use with .45 ACP reloading

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    I recently loaded some .45 ACP small primer cases as an experiment. The load was 6.0 Unique with a 200 grain bullet. No difference noted at the target or while shooting, but the magnum primers gave very slight flattening. I'm of the opinion that you can use them, just back off 1/2 grain or so.

Bear in mind, this was one load in one pistol. Your results may be entirely different.

Posts liked by others
    I can't see where using a magnum primer in the .45 ACP will make any difference. Winchester doesn't even market a large pistol magnum primer.
    Ken
    "I like Colts and will die that way"
    "It seems to me that I have forgotten more than I remember"

Posts liked by others
    Presuming the magnum type primer is different from your standard primer, in my experience magnum primer usage requires some usually small reduction in the powder charge to obtain equivalent velocity. In addition, I find the small primered 45 ACP brass produces somewhat less velocity with the same charge than standard large primer brass.

All sorts of fanciful advice abounds about the "danger" of using magnum primers instead of standard primers, including one amusing Internet forum thread where the resident "expert" warned that magnum primers somehow over ignited the powder charge such that the gun was apt to explode.

Since he never experienced this, nor claimed to know of anyone who had, I wondered how he got this information.

In truth, my commentary in the first paragraph applies. Reduce the powder charge when switching to magnum primers you want to get rid of by loading them to the same chronographed velocity your standard primered loads produce. It is possible and likely there will need to be some powder charge weight reduction needed. How much depends upon the powder you are using.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123