Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Recoil Buffers

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Recoil Buffers

What's the general opinion about recoil buffers. Are they worth adding? Brownell's has about 8 different brands.
    I have a Rock Island Tactical 1911A1. Would I need to replace the rod and spring as well?

Posts liked by others
    I'm staying out of this one ...
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    IMO they are not worth the trouble.

I was told to change them every 1000-1500rds. The disintegrated about 250.
    MFWIC
    DILLIGAF
    Stercus Accidit
    WTFDTSG

Posts liked by others
    A recoil buffer is a device that protects what is already the most overbuilt area of your frame, and a reasonably well built part of the slide. For that, you get a bit less slide travel which, depending on where your pistol lies on the tolerance range of various parts, may or may not keep the gun from slingshooting properly, and/or interfere with the gun's timing and introduce some malfunctions.

So all in all, you get a couple of potential downsides from them, and a questionable upside (what are you trying to protect?)
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter
    Last edited by Spyros; 22nd July 2017 at 10:00.

Posts liked by others
    The worst thing about recoil buffers is the sound of John Moses Browning rolling over in his grave every time one is installed.
    "Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you." --Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

Posts liked by others
    I find them to be very useful and use them in all of my 1911's. That said, I do pay attention to them, they give me feed back as to the particular load I'm shooting and I like the difference in feel. Same spring can be used, do not cut the spring as the recoil spring compressed space is the same, and any type of guide rod is fine. They do shorten the stroke by .100", but anything shorter than a GM shortens the stroke by a lot more. So...

CAW
    “If it ain't broke, don't fix it' is the slogan of the complacent, the arrogant or the scared. It's an excuse for inaction, a call to non-arms.” Colin Powell

Posts liked by others
    I use the blue Wilsons in most guns. Yes to shortening the stroke. Never had one cause an issue but do replace them when needed and check whenever I clean which isn't after every use. They have lasted through a whole week of class but might come out well abused.

Try 'em they're cheap, won't hurt anything, then you'll know. I do think there's a real benefit in Colt 10mm Deltas.

As far as JMB rolling over in his grave he's probably gone around the block a dozen times by now with all the junk people do to 1911's. One more trip due to a recoil buffer isn't going to matter.

Jim

Posts liked by others
    I wouldn't use them in a carry weapon.

Posts liked by others
    I use them, but with very heavy caution.

1 - Make sure your gun will function with them. Some will, some won't...doesn't make sense...but that's the way it is.
    Commanders are especially picky about them. Used in anything shorter than a Commander length slide, will cause
    the slide not to cycle fully.

2 - Evey time you clean and inspect your gun...yes, you should be inspecting parts for wear etc., then also inspect the 'buff that same way.

If you fail to heed both of the above, do not use them.
    If it isn't durable, it isn't reliable.

Posts liked by others
    I won't use them.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer