Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Photos Problem

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Photos Problem

Folks, this is a heads up to alert you to a sudden problem that is affecting not only M1911.org, but also pretty much every Internet forum around. Photobucket, the image hosting site, has suddenly begun blocking access to images on their servers that are linked from forum sites such as ours (and probably every other discussion forum in the known universe). They are trying to force their subscribers to upgrade to a paid membership that costs $399 per year.

What you'll be seeing a lot of as a result of this is a notice that looks like this:

Photobucket_Ransom_Image.JPG

We (heh, heh ... "we" meaning John, since this computer stuff is beyond my limited comprehension) are investigating options but the bottom line is, no matter what we come up with this is going to be a major-league headache. One immediate suggestion: starting today and going forward, if you want to post a photo in a discussion on this forum, DON'T link to the image(s) on Photobucket. Instead, learn how to use the "attach" feature. Some of you already use it, and that's great. It's a fairly recent addition to the forum and I had been using Photobucket for several years, so I don't even know how to use the attach feature. But it's there, and it avoids having your images held hostage by a reedy hosting site. So please learn how to use it.

If you have Photobucket images in threads here, if you can remember which threads (especially the dedicated photo threads in each manufacturer's sub-forum), if you could take the time to search out your threads and convert Photobucket links to forum attachments, it will be much appreciated by us and all your fellow forum members.

Stay tuned for further information from El Comandante.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 16th July 2017 at 11:01.

Posts liked by others
    Almost all my Photobucket links reside in the 1911 Magazine Identification sticky and still work, so far. I assume attaching them requires going to Photobucket and changing the link to something else? Any method to change them directly from the forum?

I got almost daily spam from Photobucket for years but haven't for several days. They must be too busy answering emails about their new policy.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Doran View Post
    Almost all my Photobucket links reside in the 1911 Magazine Identification sticky and still work, so far. I assume attaching them requires going to Photobucket and changing the link to something else? Any method to change them directly from the forum?

I got almost daily spam from Photobucket for years but haven't for several days. They must be too busy answering emails about their new policy.
    I have seen this on other sites as well, but for some reason the way I post pictures still works fine. I merely go to the Img url in my library and copy it to the forum page. When I review the page it seems to be fine. I have downloaded all of my pictures from Photbucket to my computer just in case things go bad I will have the back ups.

Last edited by myanof; 2nd July 2017 at 07:41.

Posts liked by others
    Hawkmoon,

Looks like you've been hacked by some kind of pirateware. My Photobucket works fine and the paid subscription they try to get me to subscribe to is $9.99/month or about $120/year. Check for redirects.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Posts liked by others
    That's the way I do it also, IMG url. You and I have not been affected yet but it seems a rolling phenomena since others have had photos still show early on but eventually not.

My acct uses less than 1% of capacity and contains only low res files. I suspect the high capacity and bandwidth users got hit first but will eventually get all of us if Photobucket doesn't chg this policy.

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Not so UncleNick! Do a Google search about "Photobucket 3rd party hosting" and you will see.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclenick View Post
    Hawkmoon,

Looks like you've been hacked by some kind of pirateware. My Photobucket works fine and the paid subscription they try to get me to subscribe to is $9.99/month or about $120/year. Check for redirects.
    No, I have not been hacked. MY photos still show up (for the moment), both on this forum and on another forum. But many photos on this forum and on other forums have been replaced by what I call Photobucket's "ransomware" image. They made an unannounced change to their terms of service, and just sprung it on everyone as of June 30. As John suggested, do a Google search. You'll find that it's being discussed all over the Internet, and nobody is happy about it. It's creating a nightmare for discussion forums like this ... and I'm certain that's just what Photobucket is counting on. They think they're so big that people can't afford to bail out, so they'll just pay.

I think they are mistaken.

Even PC Magazine has picked up on it: https://www.pcmag.com/news/354711/ph...s-the-internet
    Hawkmoon

Posts liked by others
    Well, that's distressing and very odd that it hasn't affected everyone. If they don't reverse policy, I'm just not going to use them. I'm already annoyed that with less than 1% of my free account filled, they keep bugging me to pay $10/month. Not going to happen.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    I have left some time pass, trying to figure out what this mess means for this site and others.

Here is the official statement from Photobucket.

http://blog.photobucket.com/photobuc...-hosting-plan/

If Photobucket management was smart, they would charge every member a nominal $10 fee per year, for 3rd party hosting. Since most people won't object to such a low fee, it means that they would get US$1 billion, per year. Now with their $400 charge, they are loosing their members a huge rate, nobody trusts them any more AND they do not get any money! What a bunch of morons!
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org
    Likes (1) :
    Mark75H (11th July 2017)

Posts liked by others
    That Photobucket announcement is "disingenuous," to be charitable. They make it sound like offering third-party hosting is a new service they are just introducing. They do NOT acknowledge that they have offered third-party hosting FOR FREE since the inception of their service. It's in there, but it's buried in the verbiage and they don't outright say so.

And then there's this: "The majority of the industry has either eliminated 3rd party hosting or imposed variable pricing based on consumption." That's a lie. There are easily a dozen or more dedicated photo hosting sites that allow free third-party hosting.

Finally: "To address the market, Photobucket has added unlimited hosting to its Plus 500 Subscription plan at a competitive fixed price." Sorry, but $399/year is not "competitive" under any conditions, and it is certainly not "competitive" when the competing services are charging zero. And in the sentence immediately preceding, they said (apparently incorrectly) that the competition is moving to variable pricing based on consumption. Yet PB's scheme is not based on consumption and it is not variable -- it's a fixed, exorbitant price that applies whether you post one photo to a forum once in your life, or publish on on-line magazine or blog and link dozens of images per week or per month.

In a just world, the people who made this decision should be staked out on a colony of fire ants and have their heads anointed with honey ...
    Hawkmoon

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast