Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is your opinion on the Cisco 1911 by Jesse James Firearms ?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Does Jesse James Firearms make their own frames and slides? They probably spec them out, as many do, starting out with blanks. What about small parts, safeties, stops, mainspring housings? They probably spec them out, as many do, a brown truck delivers them. What they do is simply assemble and fit guns whose only gimmick (I use the work in a nice way) are they way they look. Just like his bikes, he is building something just for the looks. These guns like his bikes have no new innovations. Simply if the "look" turns you off then the gun is not for you. I would venture to say that for very many these are not what we are used to, hence a turnoff. Simply if the "look" turns you off then the gun is not for you. Yes to each their own.

Posts liked by others
    I suppose some would say that if your art produces strong reactions, it is good art.

Must be good art, because I find them revolting.

I also doubt i would name a pistol (particularly one that starts just south of $4300.00) the PeeWee.

So my opinion is that those are definitely not for me.

Robert.
    NRA Endowment Life Member.
    The true danger is when liberty is nibbled away, for expedients, and by parts. - Edmund Burke 1777

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by henryt View Post
    Does Jesse James Firearms make their own frames and slides? They probably spec them out, as many do, starting out with blanks. What about small parts, safeties, stops, mainspring housings? They probably spec them out, as many do, a brown truck delivers them. What they do is simply assemble and fit guns whose only gimmick (I use the work in a nice way) are they way they look. Just like his bikes, he is building something just for the looks. These guns like his bikes have no new innovations. Simply if the "look" turns you off then the gun is not for you. I would venture to say that for very many these are not what we are used to, hence a turnoff. Simply if the "look" turns you off then the gun is not for you. Yes to each their own.
    You should look them up, I think you would be surprised at just how much of his 1911's are built at his shop, at his house, in Austin, Texas. I know I was.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Win View Post
    You should look them up, I think you would be surprised at just how much of his 1911's are built at his shop, at his house, in Austin, Texas. I know I was.
    How much? And what's your definition of "built"?

Does he machine his own slides from raw forgings?
    Does he machine his own receivers from raw forgings or castings?
    Does he machine his own barrels from forged blanks?
    Does he make his own slide stops?
    Does he make his own hammers?
    Does he make his own safety levers?
    Does he make his own sears and disconnects?
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    How much? And what's your definition of "built"?

Does he machine his own slides from raw forgings?
    Does he machine his own receivers from raw forgings or castings?
    Does he machine his own barrels from forged blanks?
    Does he make his own slide stops?
    Does he make his own hammers?
    Does he make his own safety levers?
    Does he make his own sears and disconnects?
    LOL! Yep, pretty much. Dude pounds them out of steel he forged. I don't know about the safety levers, barrels, slide stops, and sears and disconnects, but everything else it says he does. And he makes his own metal grips too. I'm just amazed that someone builds a quality pistol like that these days. His design for the rifle suppressors is also pretty cool.
    Last edited by J_Win; 16th July 2017 at 23:53.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Win View Post
    LOL! Yep, pretty much. Dude pounds them out of steel he forged. I don't know about the safety levers, barrels, slide stops, and sears and disconnects, but everything else it says he does. And he makes his own metal grips too. I'm just amazed that someone builds a quality pistol like that these days. His design for the rifle suppressors is also pretty cool.
    You're not serious, are you? Have you been to his shop and seen him producing slide and frame forgings? Do you have any idea of the size of the furnaces and presses used to produce slide and frame forgings? You don't hammer those out with a hobbyist oven, a hammer and an anvil. His web site does not say that he makes the raw forgings by hand. In fact, his web site doesn't seem to say much at all.

Hawkmoon asked you some very specific questions. You are tossing out generalities and claiming that Jesse James "makes" all his components himself. Either he does, or he doesn't. If you don't KNOW that he does, you should not be telling us that he does. So please give us your definition of what you mean when you say he "makes" all his parts himself, and then run down the list Hawkmoon gave you and tell us how you know that Jesse James makes each of those parts himself.

There is an old saying that "extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof." Your claims about this guy are rather extraordinary, so IMHO you now have a responsibility to back up your claims with some sort of evidence. Have you been to the shop and seen the operation, or are you just looking at the web site and reading into it a lot more than it actually says?
    Last edited by Greywolf; 17th July 2017 at 12:03.

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    The only company that I know of, which makes damascus frames and slides is Caspian Arms. So obviously he is using some parts from Caspian in his pistols.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    The only company that I know of, which makes damascus frames and slides is Caspian Arms. So obviously he is using some parts from Caspian in his pistols.
    IIRC Cabot makes them, too. Caspian only makes damascus slides.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    I read an article that said, and I quote, "The Cisco is priced competitively with similar custom 1911 pistols and uses a JEM frame and an STI slide. The internals are all tool steel, and each pistol is fitted and assembled."
    Here's the link: http://www.tactical-life.com/firearm...isco1911-field

Frankly, I see nothing at all to justify the price of these horrendously ugly pistols. To each his own, I suppose.
    "Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you." --Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Hmmm, Spyros, I think you are right, there is no Damascus frame in Caspian's site, but somehow I remember that at a certain time, they used to offer a damascus frame too.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast