Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Is the Kimber, Pro Carry II 4" .45 "rated" for +P

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Is the Kimber, Pro Carry II 4" .45 "rated" for +P

I have two Kimber, Pro Carry II 4" bbl .45's . I am looking to upgrade to self-defense ammo and while reading an article the author stated "as long as your .45 is 'rated' for +P ammo".

Is the Kimber, Pro Carry II 4" bbl .45 rated for +P and if so, how can I tell?

I need to answer the same question for my Remington R1 5" bbl .45 caliber, but I assume, unless whoever answers this question can answer that one too, I need to post that in the Remington section of this forum.

I do not wish to do any damage to my firearms or void their warranties.

Posts liked by others
    If I wanted to shoot +P ammo (which I don’t), I’d contact the manufacturer, rather than waiting for “someone” on a forum to advise me...
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer

Posts liked by others
    Rick McC: I received a reply for my question where I posted it in the Remington portion of this forum which pointed me to each manufacturer's policy regarding the use of +P ammo in their respective firearms and here (below) is the answer from Kimber... Remington does not support +P in their R1.

This forum worked for me to get the answer backed by the manufacturer's own words.

Thank you for your input.

https://www.kimberamerica.com/media/...al_11-2015.pdf

Page 48 says - "Although this Kimber firearm is capable
    of functioning with +P ammunition in the
    appropriate caliber for the firearm,
    a steady diet of +P ammunition may affect
    the wear characteristics, shorten the
    life and endurance of your firearm, and
    necessitate more frequent maintenance and
    replacement of parts.
    Do not use +P+ ammunition."

For what it's worth, I decided to purchase NON +P Federal P45HST2 ammo for my .45's that I use for self defense.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by WWI1911 View Post
    Rick McC: I received a reply for my question where I posted it in the Remington portion of this forum which pointed me to each manufacturer's policy regarding the use of +P ammo in their respective firearms and here (below) is the answer from Kimber... Remington does not support +P in their R1.

This forum worked for me to get the answer backed by the manufacturer's own words.

Thank you for your input.

https://www.kimberamerica.com/media/...al_11-2015.pdf

Page 48 says - "Although this Kimber firearm is capable
    of functioning with +P ammunition in the
    appropriate caliber for the firearm,
    a steady diet of +P ammunition may affect
    the wear characteristics, shorten the
    life and endurance of your firearm, and
    necessitate more frequent maintenance and
    replacement of parts.
    Do not use +P+ ammunition."

For what it's worth, I decided to purchase NON +P Federal P45HST2 ammo for my .45's that I use for self defense.
    An excellent decision, Sir.

Personally, I don’t see the need to use +P ammo in any of my firearms.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer
    Likes (1) :
    WWI1911 (17th August 2018)

Posts liked by others
    For myself, +P ammo would only be used in steel framed guns with a heavier recoil spring. All 3 of my Kimbers are aluminum framed. Every street results study I’ve seen has shown the Federal hydra-shok standard pressure loads to be top tier in actual shootings, so you’d be beating up your gun for no real reason.

Posts liked by others
    To - Firecontrol90,

I agree that the +P ammo would be beating up my aluminum framed Kimbers and decided to go with the standard pressure Federal ammo. I also have an "all steel" Remington R1 and will only use the Fedreral ammo in it as well.

My original intent was to only fire the +P ammo if I needed to defend myself. I was not considering using it for range or practice shooting. This forum convinced me that I don't need to use anything other than standard pressure ammo.

Thank you for your reply and advice.

Here's what I wrote in a previous reply of mine: "For what it's worth, I decided to purchase NON +P Federal P45HST2 ammo for my .45's that I use for self defense."
    Likes (1) :
    Firecontrol90 (20th August 2018)