Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: New to me 1951 Commercial

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

New to me 1951 Commercial

I had been looking for a decent condition early post war gun for several years. I scoured the auction sites and bid on a few that went higher than I could go. I was looking for an all original gun that wasn't too nice to shoot regularly, possibly a lot.. I had bought a new series 80 as a shooter to keep my pre war guns in the safe. Too be honest I just couldn't warm up to it.
    Anyhow after talking guns with a fellow coworker I found this one lurking right under my nose. Ive already put several hundred rounds through it and am very happy with its accuracy considering the original sights and my aging eyes.

I do have one question about the grips. I am quite aware of the issue of shrinkage of grips from this era. These show no sign of this and appear to be made of the same material as the grips on my 1943 Ithaca. A Bakelite type material. No marble color at all, just identical color as the wartime "Keys" grips. Were these made in more than one type of material? This type and a more rubber type material that was prone to shrinking?

20170529_191339.jpg
    20170529_191401.jpg
    20170529_191440.jpg
    20170529_191426.jpg
    20170529_191509.jpg
    Last edited by gunslinger1971; 29th May 2017 at 21:38.

Posts liked by others
    The early post war commercial grips made of material similar to the wartime grips which didn't shrink appreciably. Later grips used different material that did shrink over time. I saw a pair on a slightly later pistol at the last Tulsa show actually cracked into two pieces at the top screw.

Some have indicated the early grips made of a thermoset material and the later of a thermoplastic material. Whatever the later material it loses volatiles at a much higher rate causing the grips to lose volume and shrink.

Appears you also have a correct period magazine for this pistol.