Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: 43' Colt Damaged Serial

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

43' Colt Damaged Serial

I inherited a 43' Colt from an uncle who just passed away. The serial number has been damaged. From what I understand this was common amongst GI's returning home who didn't want to turn in their service weapon. I wouldn't trade this gun for 5 new 1911's. However I would like to findout how to get it repaired correctly so I may register it in my name and pass it to my son when the time comes.
    The serial is damaged but I've figured out what it is via photoshop filters. Thanks in advance

Posts liked by others
    Let's be clear -- was the serial number "damaged," or was it deliberately and intentionally obscured or removed? If it was the latter, you have inherited a felony offense.

From what I have been told, the BATFE used to have a service that would help out people in your situation by issuing a replacement serial number (or, perhaps, authorizing restoration of the original serial number if it could be reliably determined). Unfortunately, my source has told me that the BATFE ended that service several years ago.

My advice, which is worth every penny you're paying for it, is to (1) consult an attorney in your state who is knowledgeable about firearms law, and have HIM call the BATFE; and (2) do not discuss this any further on the Internet.

18 U.S. Code 922:
    (k) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to transport, ship, or receive, in interstate or foreign commerce, any firearm which has had the importer’s or manufacturer’s serial number removed, obliterated, or altered or to possess or receive any firearm which has had the importer’s or manufacturer’s serial number removed, obliterated, or altered and has, at any time, been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.
    https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/922
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 28th May 2017 at 14:52.

Posts liked by others
    Frank Ettin, a lawyer who posts on some of the boards, says that even an accidental case of road rash obscuring the serial number could render a gun contraband. And that the serial number does not have to be completely obliterated, anything reducing its legibility at all is bad.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=10

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Frank Ettin, a lawyer who posts on some of the boards, says that even an accidental case of road rash obscuring the serial number could render a gun contraband. And that the serial number does not have to be completely obliterated, anything reducing its legibility at all is bad.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=10
    And Frank would definitely know.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer

Posts liked by others
    There are no legal USGI "bring backs." They were all stolen. Stolen government property remains stolen government property. Defaced serial number or not.

-- Chuck

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
    There are no legal USGI "bring backs." They were all stolen. Stolen government property remains stolen government property. Defaced serial number or not.

-- Chuck
    This is technically incorrect. There were provisions for returning servicemen to retain their issued sidearm. If and when that happened, the serviceman was issued a document attesting to the fact that the firearm had been transferred to his personal ownership.

I'm fairly certain that there are a lot more WW2 M1911s (and A1s) that were simply "appropriated" rather than legally transferred, but they were not ALL stolen. Removal or attempted removal of the serial number and/or the "U.S. PROPERTY" markings is usually a good indication that the firearm was "appropriated."
    Hawkmoon

Posts liked by others
    I doubt a GI would be able to buy out his service pistol, pretty much an officer's privilege.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    I doubt a GI would be able to buy out his service pistol, pretty much an officer's privilege.
    Nonetheless, the statement was "There are no legal USGI 'bring backs.' They were all stolen."

And that statement is incorrect.
    Hawkmoon

Posts liked by others
    That is true, and I think a legitimate transfer form would be a large asset to a surplus pistol. But it is one of those low probability, high consequence things.