Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: 1911 A1 Holster

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

1911 A1 Holster

The photos below are of a brown holster for a 1911 A1 pistol. The back of the holster is stamped "BOYT 44" and the front flap is stamped with US inside an oval. The leather of the holster is in very good condition except for a darkened brown / red color on its exterior surface. I hope from the pictures someone might be able to provide an approximate value of the holster for me. If more pics are required I'll send more just let me know what additional pics might be required. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Posts liked by others
    Actual sales usually the best method to determine values; eBay usually lists the most sales. Use these search terms:

(m1916,m-1916,1916) holster

in eBay Completed Auctions and set the min/max bids at 1 to 50 or similar. Review the original items, not the reproductions, similar to what you have.

Posts liked by others
    I have a similar one, with the same markings, but died black and steel belt clip that I paid $25 dollars for about a year ago.
    I have another one with similar markings (BOYT - J.R.J.), died black with bronze belt clip which cost me $85 6 months ago.
    "Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot
    Dominus Vobiscum . . . <))>(

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for your replies above. Someone who I met at a recent gunshow told me he had a similar "BOYT" holster dated 43 that he gave $100 for. I didn't have my holster with me at the time and didn't see what he had either, but I don't think my holster would be worth that kind of money. I was just curious to hear what someone(s) at this site might consider the value of a WWII GI holster might be worth. Thanks for the info.

Posts liked by others
    I PM'd you some Completed Auctions from eBay for similar condition M1916 holsters by various makers. Most seem in the $50 - $75 range. Boyt a common maker and brings less than something rarer like a Craighead.

Posts liked by others
    To verify that this is a WWI holster see if a magnet is attracted to the wire belt clip. Any way my research indicates that shortly after WWI these wires were changed from bronze (non-magnetic) to steel (magnetic). The photo is not hi-res enough to see for sure.

Posts liked by others
    dV8r I just checked the belt clips with a magnet and they are magnetic (steel). How might that effect the belt's and pouch's value if at all ? thanks for the info.

Posts liked by others
    The 44 under Boyt indicates mfrd in 1944 for WWII.

Posts liked by others
    I suspect that older is more valuable given everything else is equal. My research also indicates that your brown holster is worth more than one died black as it was more likely a combat issue vs. one used for 'dress'.

Also I noticed from the picture of the back of your holster that the leather insert is removed. I'm not sure if this affects the value or not but the one I have that still has this insert I can't get a 1911 into. I have read that it is there to keep the gun more secure and that many if not most users removed it to make getting the gun out quicker.
    Maybe someone can help with an answer for this?
    Last edited by dV8r; 27th April 2017 at 13:41.

Posts liked by others
    dV8r Thanks for your reply. Yes I believe the brown BOYT holster is a little more valuable than the black ones and could have been a combat relic.
    I just checked both black holsters and each of them contain the leather insert you spoke of. One of the pics does make the stitching all but disappear in the light reflection from the leather. I can see how you might think the stitching is gone and the leather insert is removed. I've tried all 4 of my 1911's in each holster and they all go in and out easily. The insert in your holster might be a little over sized.
    On the rear part of the insert there is a slight step. I was told years ago the purpose of the step in the leather insert is to push the checkered part of the recoil spring retainer just under the barrel against the step to charge an empty chamber of the pistol and cock the hammer. In this manner the pistol could be with drawn from the holster loaded and ready to fire when it clears leather. I've never tried this motion with a pistol containing a loaded magazine. But I have tried it with an empty magazine in the gun and it works. I would NEVER try it using a loaded mag. I've never heard of anyone using this method in a stressful situation or in combat.