Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Simple Bullseye match questions by a rookie

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Simple Bullseye match questions by a rookie

I'm new here and to BE. Shot my first match with the local shooting club in the Houston area. But only shot the .22 portion, the first 900 of the 2700 match.

My silly question is during the Slow Fire match, 10 rounds in 10 minutes. Do you load 7-3 or 5-5? I figure there has to be a mag change as 10rd 1911 mags are not that prevalent nor affordable.

Any thoughts on break in on a new SA Range Officer? I figure dry fire like crazy learning the break of my trigger, learn how and where it shoots, and compete before I do any tuning. Anything I should look for or notice as it breaks in?

Thoughts or feedback?

Thanks!

Posts liked by others
    I think most BE shooters just load 5 at a time.

As for break-in, 1911s generally don't need it, except inasmuch as the shooter needs to gain some confidence in the gun. So basically, just shoot it until you're comfortable with it!
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Agreed: Reference to the rules finds:
    "In slow fire events, which are scored after 10 shots, the command
    should be “10 SHOTS SLOW FIRE, 10 SHOTS IN 10 MINUTES,
    LOAD.” (The number of rounds to be loaded by the competitor
    in slow fire stages will be determined by the competitor.)"

So you could shoot 3 and 7 like a Garand shooter does 2 and 8, but why?
    The rest of the match is in 5 shot strings and I would not want to change my routine.

Posts liked by others
    Appreciate the feedback. Still getting comfortable with the trigger break and recoil one handed. Most experience has been tactical, two hand grip from the draw or low ready. And with the M9 in military matches. This is more calculated and gentlemanly than doing failure to stop drills. ☺️

Makes sense on the routine of 5-5 as the remainder of the match.

Thanks!

Posts liked by others
    I would also say learn to reload, in bulleye you can shoot lower power loads, most bulleye shooters shoot ammo that is loaded to a muzzle velocity of around 700 fps. The only commercially loaded round I know that is close to this is Federal Gold metal match 185 grain FMJ SWC. It runs at 770 fps. I believe there are come commercial reloaders who might do the same. The lower power loads make a huge difference.
    good luck.
    Likes (1) :
    MuyModesto (23rd December 2018)

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by troystat View Post
    I would also say learn to reload, in bulleye you can shoot lower power loads, most bulleye shooters shoot ammo that is loaded to a muzzle velocity of around 700 fps. The only commercially loaded round I know that is close to this is Federal Gold metal match 185 grain FMJ SWC. It runs at 770 fps. I believe there are come commercial reloaders who might do the same. The lower power loads make a huge difference.
    good luck.
    It really helps on a full match to have those softer loads.
    Likes (1) :
    MuyModesto (23rd December 2018)

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    The rest of the match is in 5 shot strings and I would not want to change my routine.
    This.
    Do the same thing.
    Every time.
    Do the same thing.