Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Norinco 1911 .45 Pistols

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    I needed something to start bowling pin shooting at Second Chance many years ago. Tight budget so I got a Norinco. Only problem I experience was in cutting a dovetail to replace the front sight. The gunsmith. complained that the slide steel was so tough it destroyed the dovetail cutter. I have many more 1911's now, but the Norinco still soldiers on. I too would love to find another at a gun show. Not pretty, but it won far more for me than it originally cost.

Posts liked by others
    Any particular years to avoid? I have read somewhere that certain year spans were lower quality.
    Like someone's grandpa used to say "I can sit here quietly and let everyone think I'm stupid, or I can say something and confirm it for them."

Posts liked by others
    I recently completed a 1911 Armorer's class where we were encouraged to bring our own 1911s to use for the many hands-on segments of the class. I brought a Springfield SS Mil Spec and one of my Norcs - both fine guns, but for a variety of reasons (LOL, many of which I don't remember since I've slept after completing the class), I felt that the Norc had many features that put it ahead of the Springfield.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by ozarkmac View Post
    Any particular years to avoid? I have read somewhere that certain year spans were lower quality.
    the best ones came in back in the early 1990's before the 1994 cut off date for the USA imports

some of the later models imported to CANADA are not as nice as the earlier ones
    Likes (1) :
    Ric4509 (12th May 2018)

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    As someone already mentioned, these are basically solid guns, made of steel which is much better than some of the pistols build in US, by reputable names. Their steel is so strong that (again, as it was already mentioned) gunsmiths tend to curse them, because they destroy the mill cutting tools.

The only thing that I would change in Nork 1911s is their barrel, I do not exactly remember the reason, it should be in here somewhere, explained by 1911Tuner, maybe what was mentioned (again) by someone before, the head spacing issue, but don't quote me on that. A search for "Norinco barrels" should bring up the thread it was discussed in.

Apart from that, the pistols are solid and an excellent base for customisation.

P.S.: Yes, those tiny sights need to go!
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    I'd like to have a metallurgist or master machinist weigh in on that.
    Does low machinability, which the Norinco definitely has, really mean stronger? It sure does not mean better in an overall sense.

FLG was cursing the type. He could not drive out a rear sight, he had to split it and take it out in pieces. Even that was tough, they had used their low machinability steel to make a low stress part like a fixed sight. When he did, he found why it would not drive. The Chinese machinist had not been able to work it either, the dovetail ran out a little short of the far side of the slide and the sight had been swedged in under very high force.

I have heard more than one account of skew action pin holes. One guy said "No problem, I just cut the sear and hammer hooks at the complimentary angle."

Posts liked by others
    I had an older Norinco that had an ill fitted barrel that battered the barrel lugs . A friend fitted a used Colt barrel he had on hand and it worked great .
    Let my grandson use it in a basic pistol class (his choice of all my pistols) and he did well so I gave it to him . He shot a 589 out of a possible 600 .

I came across another one NIB in a small town pawn shop , bought it but never fired it and the friend that fitted the barrel to my other one wanted it so I let him have it for just what I paid for it ($325 OTD )
    I have a Norinco Compact that I most likely will never get rid of that I shoot a lot .
    Last edited by Ken Grant; 25th April 2018 at 20:48.

Posts liked by others
    I purchased my Norc back in 94 or 95 (used of course). I had a set of Trijicon sights put on it, and over time I have tweaked it here and there. It has fired thousands of rounds over the years, and it is still my favorite to take to the range. I had the ejector replaced a couple of years ago due to some FTE issues. Since then she will fire every type of round you can throw in it. I have other 1911s that cost much more, and those are not as much fun to shoot. I guess mine must be an earlier pistol, carrying 301051 as the serial.
    Ron

...Semper Fidelis...
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Likes (1) :
    John (13th May 2018)

Posts liked by others
    I have a Norinco 1911 45 ACP with over 5K rounds through it mostly handloads. Functions without fail and no problems. Only thing I can find Bad?? is no bowtie cut in frame. I am not sure if JMB used the bowtie cut or not and if completely necessary??

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Well, the answer is ... no. If the top of the barrel legs hit the frame, without the lower legs hitting it, it's not necessary. But that's hard to achieve, without a bow tie. Still, a minor issue.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast