Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from Brownells, Cabela's, TandemKros or Tekmat, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Also, don't forget to visit our other sponsors sites, click-throughs are appreciated by our advertisers. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Colt New Service

Posts liked by others

Colt New Service

I'm attempting to post a thread with pictures on a Colt New Service revolver I have. Not much luck but I'll try once again. I'd appreciate any comment anyone might have after viewing the pics. The grip panels have been replaced with white plastic panels which I know detracts from the revolver's value. I'd like to locate a hard rubber pair of black panels with the Colt emblem. If anyone might care to give me a ball park estimate of its value I would appreciate their effort. I'm not sure how the pics and text got missed up together but at least they got included . Thanks Big Coulee CouleeIMGP0064.jpgIMGP0065.jpgIMGP0066.jpgIMGP0067.jpgIMGP0068.jpg
    Likes (1) :
    Ric4509 (12th April 2017)

Posts liked by others
    Looks really nice. It appears that the cylinder and barrel have a slightly different color, or sheen, or something, compared to the frame?
    Maybe a caliber change?
    I think the New Service is worth more when chambered in .45 Colt than in just about any other chambering.
    I saw a really nice one chambered in .38-40, or something, really beautiful, and I thought, I'd buy it at that price . . . if it were a .45 or maybe a .357.
    "A grip safety is just another excess moving part. I have never known one to prevent an accident, and moreover, it is difficult to postulate a circumstance in which it might." Jeff Cooper

Posts liked by others
    Yep, that looks like a keeper. When you go out and take it to the range, you'll see those are nice shooters.

Posts liked by others
    1911A2 Thanks for your comment. Yes the old New Service is a good shooting gun when the proper size bullets are used. I try to use bullets sized .454 and .457 and loaded to about 650 to 700fps. I don't try to get excessive velocity with the reloads I use in this piece. Any replacement parts for this near 100 year old gun would be hard to find, so I keep pressures low. At 20 paces it puts the bullets right where I'm looking. Thanks again for your comment